We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Romantic Weekend in Cornwall

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a Romantic Weekend in Cornwall

I go to university in Bristol and want to take my boyfriend away for the weekend for his birthday. Thinking Cornwall would be a nice destination, but where shall we stay?

I am looking for somewhere near the coast and want to be able to get to walks, maybe local wine tasting and nice restaurants.

Anyone got any ideas of a place to look to stay?

Thanks very much!

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a Romantic Weekend in Cornwall

Cornwall is always a nice destination... but I'm prejudiced ;-)

A few more facts maybe helpful - When do you plan to visit? Will you have your own transport, or relying on public transport? Also, once you cross the border and enter NE Cornwall it's another couple of hours down to the SW point... so how far are you prepared to go?

The Camel Valley is famous for its wine production and they do tours/tastings but they seem to be mid-week. It's also not on the coast!

camelvalley.com/vineyard-tours/grand-tour-an…

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a Romantic Weekend in Cornwall

Hi

Have a look at this for some general ideas, http://www.visitcornwall.com/

If you stay anywhere on either coast you will be able to access the South West coast path and walk the cliffs for miles. If you want a good choice of pubs/restaurants then go for one of the slightly larger places as the smaller villages will be limiting in that respect.

Fowey is somewher i'd reccomend for a first stay.

Ps, my daughters off to Bristol Uni in Sept!

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a Romantic Weekend in Cornwall

I would recommend St Ives. Gorgeous town, excellent restaurants and bars, fantastic walking in the area, right on the coast path. Polgoon Vineyard not too far away and Scarlet Wines in Lelant which is an excellent deli and winery and does some fab food too. St Ives definitely ticks all the boxes for a romantic weekend.

Suzi

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a Romantic Weekend in Cornwall

Thanks for all your advice so far! Very useful! I am planning on going in the middle of march and we will have a car to get around. Perhaps it would be best to not go somewhere too far from Bristol, so not right to the SW point...but i'm sure i could be persuaded!

Also - badcat110 your daughter will love Bristol, its a lovely univeristy and one of the best places to spend a large part of your year!

Looking forward to anymore tips! Thanks

phoebe

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a Romantic Weekend in Cornwall

I would also recommend Fowey, especially as it is easily accessible by train via Bristol - St Austell. Many romantic places there. I once stayed in Old Quay House, which was very good!

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a Romantic Weekend in Cornwall

If you have a look on Flickr, type in the names of the places you are interested in looking at and then you can see what they are like and whether they suit you.

By way of a bit of persuasion, you can get the train right into St Ives with only one change at St Erth. The train from St Erth to St Ives is one of the most spectacular coastal journeys in England with stunning coastal views nearly all the way to St Ives.

I am a bit biased but, personally, the amount of extra time that it would take to get to St Ives on the train, as opposed to somewhere further North in Cornwall, I think it definitely worth it as the extra time will be negligible.

St Ives has everything you could possibly want for a romantic weekend with bars, pubs, restaurants, easily accessible beaches, coastal walks, beach cafes, great places to have breakfast, a fabulous harbour with the possibility of boat trips and so much to see and do in the surrounding area. Some of the inland walks give spectacular views right over St Ives Bay. The walk up to Knills Monument at Carbis Bay is brilliant and the walk right up to Navax Point near Godrevy is fabulous.

Suzi

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a Romantic Weekend in Cornwall

''I am a bit biased'' Destination expert for St Ives, biased towards St Ives!!

Well i never!!

Sorry Suzi, couldn't resist it : )

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a Romantic Weekend in Cornwall

LOL followed by embarrassed smiley :-O really made me chuckle Badcat :-)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a Romantic Weekend in Cornwall

well i guess its going to be st ives then! Any ideas for hotels, small would be nicer but open to suggestions

Thanks!

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a Romantic Weekend in Cornwall

We don't usually stay in big hotels but we enjoyed a very good off-season autumn short break at the Tregenna Castle last year. We had a wonderful view from our room and the breakfast was good. Might be worth considering their current special offers.

www.tregenna-castle.co.uk/specialoffers