We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carbis Bay - Cotelhele - Bath

Jol
Vancouver,Canada
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Carbis Bay - Cotelhele - Bath

Hello All,

We're driving from Carbis Bay to Bath on a Saturday in early June. Would it be feasible to go via Cotelhele and have a brief look?

Regarding the route, is it sensible to go via Bristol as ViaMichelin suggests, or rather Honiton, Lichester, Shepton Mallet, etc. ?

Thanks for your input.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carbis Bay - Cotelhele - Bath

Cotehele is beautiful, but it depends on how brief your 'brief' would be. We spent hours there and didn't even get down to the Mill or wander the grounds as much as we would have liked. Can't wait to go back though (and the cream tea in the tea-room was Excellent, but one serve of the scones between 2 will suffice next time - too much for one person [2 scones, jam and clotted cream)

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carbis Bay - Cotelhele - Bath

I would definitely go from Carbis Bay to Bath via Bristol as this is the quickest way and, in early June, you shouldn't have any really bad traffic issues if you avoid the rush hours.

As for Cotehole, I haven't ever been so I can't comment on that bit.

Suzi

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carbis Bay - Cotelhele - Bath

It takes around 2 hours to drive from Carbis Bay to Cotehele near Saltash and it's then another 3 hours from Cotehele to Bath so 5 hours driving in total.

Driving from Carbis Bay to Bath direct using the A30 and M5 takes around 4 hours so the detour doesn't actually add that much time onto the journey - assuming of course that there are no traffic holdups.

Cotehele is lovely and you can certainly spend the best part of a day there. It's worth noting though that the house doesn't open until 11 and close at 4.30 but the grounds are open all day. It's best on a fine day as you will want to stroll down to the Quay but even on a damp day, I think I'd make the detour just for the house.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carbis Bay - Cotelhele - Bath

Yes you could visit Cotehele en route, though it is a bit out of the way.

From Carbis Bay you would need to come up the A30 to Bodmin, then take the A38 to Liskeard. From there the A390 to Callington then its signposted on the way to Gunnislake. After your visit, continue on the A390 to Tavistock, where you then take the A386 towards Okehamton and rejoin the A30 then M5 to Bristol and Bath.

I would say it would take around 1.5 hours or a little more to reach Cotehele from Carbis Bay, then around 45mins to rejoin the A30.

It is a lovely place and well worth a visit, though you can easily spend a day in the area with pretty walks by the river and old mill as well as the house and gardens.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carbis Bay - Cotelhele - Bath

Sammysgranny-- great minds think alike! written at the same time with almost the same info : )

Jol
Vancouver,Canada
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carbis Bay - Cotelhele - Bath

Thank you all for the very helpful info.

Coming from Canada the distances in Cornwall seem deceptively small. Maybe we would be best to do a day trip from Carbis Bay to Cotehele, I would love to see the house. There is so much to see and too few days.

Thanks again.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carbis Bay - Cotelhele - Bath

Jol, the house is well worth the visit - truly beautiful. My sister and I felt quite an affinity to Cotehele, because our maiden name is linked to the house - and for us here in Australia, where we have no real history, to find that our family tree has been researched directly back to the 1400s is mind-boggling. The research shows that all our paternal ancestors (up to our great grantparents, who came to Australia from Goonhavern in the latish 1800s) lived in the Cotehele area and later in the vicinity of Truro. Returning to Cornwall makes us feel like we've come home to where we're supposed to be :-)

Jol
Vancouver,Canada
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carbis Bay - Cotelhele - Bath

Marmalade, How lovely !

9. Re: Carbis Bay - Cotelhele - Bath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 15:17