We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bude to Holyhead-stopover

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
511 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Bude to Holyhead-stopover

We will be driving from Bude to Holyhead for ferry in July and wondering is this doable in a day or are we better off staying over somewhere? We will have 3 young children with us who are used to long journeys but think this may be too long. Whats the best way to go and where is best to break journey? Its not a problem on way there as we are stopping off with family en route in Manchester and then Reading before heading to Bude.

Essex
Level Contributor
29,115 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bude to Holyhead-stopover

Have a look at Gloucester, Cheltenham or Worcester, they are all 'nearabouts' half-way' and all nice enough towns with things to do/see that might satisfy you and the kids.

Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
606 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bude to Holyhead-stopover

I'd agree with the above post, there are lot of good places to stop in the middle counties. We stopped at Stourport on Severn (Worcestershire) once and thought it a lovely town, we have also stopped at Ross on Wye (Hereford) and in the Cotswolds and enjoyed that too, we were camping however so can't recommend any other types of accomodation but there is bound to be lots.

As to the driving, you may be interested in this recent post where a similar journey was discussed, though I don't think children were involved:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186234-i637-k4336…

Edited: 26 April 2011, 19:55
Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
606 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bude to Holyhead-stopover

and I should add, your journey is a fair bit longer than this one.

Edited: 26 April 2011, 20:05
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
511 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bude to Holyhead-stopover

Thanks for that . Will have a look on the map and google accommodation in areas suggested. Think we are better off breaking the journey as its a long drive with kids and then a ferry trip .Thanks.

Kenilworth
Level Contributor
391 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bude to Holyhead-stopover

Yes, I'd recommend a stop on this journey.

The most common routes between these places are either via the M5 to Birmingham then the M6/M54/A5 to Holyhead; or the M5/M6 to Cheshire then the M56. I would normally choose the former.

But a much more scenic route is to come off the M5 at Gloucester and travel via Ledbury, Hereford, Leominster, Ludlow and Church Stretton before joining the A5 at Shrewsbury. Any of these towns would make a very nice overnight stop.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
511 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bude to Holyhead-stopover

My sister lives in Cheshire ,near Altrincham . Would this not be out of the way going to Holyhead as if its not we could easily stay there?

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,925 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bude to Holyhead-stopover

Dont go as far north as the M56. Exit the M6 at J16 to A500 towards Nantwich. North of Nantwich join the A51 towards Chester. At Chester join The A55 towards Holyhead. This is a nice drive, and will save you time.

Were you to continue on the M6 to J20 M56, Altrincham would be about twenty minutes.

Allow two and a half hours from Altrincham to Holyhead.

Safe journey.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
511 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bude to Holyhead-stopover

Thanks :). So Altincham wouldn't be too far out of the way and would save us staying in a hotel with 3 little ones. Might do that. Must check it on a map. We have driven the Holyhead to Altrincham route a good few times and will be doing it again this time before heading south to Reading and then Cornwall. Our ferry back is around 2pm so easliy doable from there.

Thanks again .

9. Re: Bude to Holyhead-stopover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 10:22