We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Rock for two families ....

Middlesex
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Rock for two families ....

Hello, I originally posted on the St Ives forum but I am struggling to find suitable accomodation for us in St Ives but have found a gorgeous property in Rock.

Please can anyone give me an insight into what goes on in Rock (I don't know the area at all).

Our friends are coming over from Australia as a suprise for my husband's 40th birthday and they were keen on Cornwall - for them and for my husband's celebration I really want to make it special.

We have children age 4, 9, 10 (all boys) and 15. So I am interested in family day time activities, boat trips, bike hire and rides etc and also restaurants.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Floss

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,558 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Rock for two families ....

Get the ferry from Rock to Padstow, and you have a wealth of restaurants, from fast food to Rick Stein.

You can hire bikes and ride the Camel Trail as far as Bodmin if you feel energetic, or turn round when you get to Wadebridge if you've had enough.

www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=13412

Just round the corner from Rock you have my favourite beach, Daymer Bay, then just along a bit further you have Polzeath, which is more lively for your 15 year old.

You also aren't far from Crealy. Some love it, some hate it. I can't say as I don't have children that age any more, but might be worth a try.

A short drive will get you to the Eden Project if you fancy that.

You also don't have far to go for Port Isaac where Doc Martin is filmed.

Hope you have a lovely time. This part of the county gets overlooked, but has a lot to offer.

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Rock for two families ....

Must mention the puffins!

Boat trips from Padstow out around Puffin Island - by speed boat or slow boat!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Rock for two families ....

Yes, the trip on the Jubilee Queen from Padstow is a must.

Surfing at Polzeath (surf schools and surf hire on the beachfront) should keep your boys happy for some of the time at least and there is excellent rock pooling at Greenaway beach middway between Daymer Bay and Polzeath but the beach is accessible only on foot from the cliff path which is easy walking. There is one particularly big rock pool near to a large rock which my grandchildren love to swim in. We've spent many happy hours on Greenway beach and at Daymer bay where a climb to the top of Brea Hill is a rite of passage.

I warn you though that the car park near the ferry point at Rock gets packed in high season and I never venture down there then but park higher up the road and walk in.

Whereabouts are you staying in Rock?

Edited: 10 July 2011, 21:41
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Rock for two families ....

Also just to endorse Annabelle's suggestion of Crealy for a good day out - plenty to keep all the age groups amused..

5. Re: What to do in Rock for two families ....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 13:16