We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere to eat Lobster in East Cornwall?

London
Level Contributor
88 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Somewhere to eat Lobster in East Cornwall?

Hi

We're camping near Bodmin moor next week and I'm a seafood lover who has always wanted to try fresh Cornish lobster. My boyfriend hates seafood (but will eat fish). I'm looking for a reasonably priced restaurant for lunch or dinner that we could drive too (thinking Padstow, Port Isaac or somewhere similar/quieter) that will definitely have lobster on the menu (and no not Rick Steins...I don't think I'll get in there anyway!) and something non seafoody and possibly nonfishy for my boyfriend!

If nothing springs to mind are there any seafood stalls/shops that you would recommend that might have lobster to try?

I know it's a big ask but I'm going round in circles on Google!

Braunton, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Somewhere to eat Lobster in East Cornwall?

I think I've found just the place. Sam's in the centre of Fowey is fantastic. They list lobster on the menu as well as many other things for your boyfriend - I've always had a good meal there and the place has got a great atmosphere. It's very popular and you may need to wait for a table (you can't book ahead) but it's a nice lively place to wait. May be worth a call just to check that lobster is on. You'll also love Fowey! http://www.samsfowey.co.uk/

Essex
Level Contributor
28,204 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somewhere to eat Lobster in East Cornwall?

Was only in Padstow last week. Noticed that the Old Ship Inn (on mill square) had lobster on their menu - for about £15. It does other pub type food so your BF should find plenty of options.

There are not many non seafood options on the Menu at Rick Steins Seafood Restaurant. I managed to get a last minute booking there though. Worth giving them a ring if you want to try it, otherwise you can chance-it and get an unreserved seat at the bar in the centre of the restaurant, if you are lucky (and if you want to, of course). There is also Steins Cafe and the Petroc Bistro for other Rick-worthy options.........!

You might like a visit to the Lobster Hatchery, not expensive to visit, an interesting display, and some impressive live crustaceons to admire. (You could always call in to the Rick Stein fish & chip shop on the way back!!)

Wadebridge, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Somewhere to eat Lobster in East Cornwall?

I recommend Nathan Outlaw's Seafood and Grill at the St Enodoc Hotel in Rock, opposite side of the estuary from Padstow and just as easy to reach from your base in Bodmin.

They currently have a choice of either half or whole lobsters on the menu, with many other options, including fish, meat and veggie, for your boyfriend.

We went recently with friends, one of whom chose (and enjoyed) the half lobster for lunch. They have a lovely sun terrace with beautiful views of the estuary, which is a great place to eat when the sun's out.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somewhere to eat Lobster in East Cornwall?

We ate at the Riverside at Boscastle last week and they had lobster on the menu, plus lots of other choices. It's a fairly small restaurant so you do need to book, but we had a lovely meal and Boscastle is a lovely spot.

5. Re: Somewhere to eat Lobster in East Cornwall?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 06:16