We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South West Coastal Sea Path

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
South West Coastal Sea Path

I'm planning a 7-10 day hike along the Southwest section of the Coastal Sea Path in September this year. But I'm unable to decide between the following two options; 1) Penzance to Falmouth, which includes stops in Porthleven, Lizard, Coverack and Helford, or 2) Falmouth to Plymouth, which includes stops at Mevagissey, Portloe, Portscatho, Polperro and Fowey. Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't mind the steep climbs and ascents and did hike the path a few years ago near Boscastle and Padstow. I'm also hoping to use Contours Walking Holidays, for accommodations, luggage transfer, etc. and was wondering if anyone has used this company before?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South West Coastal Sea Path

Well, since no one else has answered... I've walked parts of both sections, and I think it is a coin toss. They are both great walking. I'd probably choose the 2nd option, but that's only because the area around Fowey and Polperro was my first introduction to the Cornish coastal walking and I had better weather there.

I've been doing walking holidays in the UK since 1995, using a number of different companies. I have collected their brochures but never used Contour, but they have been around since then, so can't imagine that they are incompetent.

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: South West Coastal Sea Path

Thank you so much! I'm beginning to lean towards that option as well. Appreciate the advice.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,684 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South West Coastal Sea Path

Sorry I don't know that end yet grits but if you get to this end let me know.....have a great time, it's a wonderful way to holiday.

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South West Coastal Sea Path

; 1) Penzance to Falmouth, which includes stops in Porthleven, Lizard, Coverack and Helford

I have also walked all the Cornish coast on many occasions for many years.

Although route 2 would offer nice scenery it in my opinion would not be as interesting and Stunning as route 1. Penzance to Lizard takes in st.Michaels Mount at Marazion (do a Google) then onto the Engine houses on the cliff edges at Rinsey before Porthleven. From here you will walk to Kynance Cove where your bound to see Seals enroute to The Lizard passing the most southerly westerly tip of England. Also Church Cove around to Coverack. Then you enter into the Helford River you can continue around the helford estuary onto Gweek (seal sanctuary located here) if you wanted/needed to shave off a corner you could catch the passenger ferry from Helford village to Helford Passage across the river. Either way you will end up here and from here you can visit Glendurgan gardens or Trebah gardens at Mawnan Smith (do a Google) then walk passing Maenporth and FALMOUTH :-)

You will not be dissapointed....and now I feel I must get out my walking boots!!! If you want help with this just ask but most of all enjoy!!! Caz

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South West Coastal Sea Path

I'd definitely recommend the coastal path around the Lizard. I love the variety of scenery and interest - the Devil's Frying Pan, Kynance Cove, choughs, basking sharks and dolphins, Marconi signal stations, 2 coves called Church Cove (one of which with a very atmospheric church right by the beach, the most southerly point and the Lizard Lighthouse tour. There's some lovely places to stay or stop at for tea en route, or head inland for some ice cream as Roskilly's!

Very happy that I'm heading there soon!

Have a great time wherever you choose..

K

6. Re: South West Coastal Sea Path

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 23:18