We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from London

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Driving from London

Having driven last year from London, on the M3/A303 route. This time were going to try the M4/M5 route. Can anyone recommend anywhere to stop on the way?

Thanks

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from London

don't do it! Yes the A303 is slow, but so is the M5 Southbound in summer, and not only are you making a 30 mile detour (at least) using M4/M5, also, the A303 is so much more pretty to drive (despite being slow at times).

Essex
Level Contributor
27,771 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from London

Yes, give in to it! The A303/A30 is the best - and here is the information that proves it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0116ly6

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,561 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from London

If you were going to try something different I'd consider going further south and go through the New Forest then parallel the coast to Exeter

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,563 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from London

I would agree, stick with the A303. Far less boring than being on the motorway all the time

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from London

I'll just stick this in the mix :-) Definitely do M4, M5 then A30.....I do this round trip from London twice a month....stop at Bristol services (Waitrose. Burger King, KFC etc,) Caz,

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,444 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from London

I'll go with Alanrow depending what time of day you are travelling. Late night early morning you can wizz through towns but it also is a good way to enjoy the journey.

Otherwise M5/4 and A30 is the one I do. My usual plot is to set up at some early hour when the traffice is light, stop for long, leisurly breakfast 8-9am during rush hour then off again after. Works a treat.

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from London

Thanks for your suggestions. Although its almost 50/50!

Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from London

I hate the A303! I would always advise M4,M5,A30. Unless you are driving on a Friday or Saturday which are horrendous during summer. But then again I would say the A303 will be pretty busy during Summer also.

If you have to travel on a Friday/Saturday try and avoid peak times. Last weekend was just awful on the M5. Saturday from 10am to 5pm there were tailbacks from Bristol to Cullompton just due to the sheer amount of traffic entering the county.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,529 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from London

Just to even it up again I would always go A303. The M4 and M5 are so busy and boring boring boring.

Hants UK
Level Contributor
221 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from London

We usually go M3/A303/A30 from London. However we occasionally cut up the A358(?) from Ilminster to Taunton to the M5.

Places to stop: We often take the Plymouth road after Exeter and stop at Trago Mills at Newton Abbot. Some people love it, others hate it. As someone said on the reviews "If Lidl did jumble sales ..."

Get answers to your questions about Cornwall