We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itenary suggestions - 3 day trip to Cornwall

london
Level Contributor
132 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Itenary suggestions - 3 day trip to Cornwall

We are a group of 7 guys(mid 20's) planning to visit Cornwall by the end of this month(long weekend). We would be coming from Reading and will be travelling by car. We will be starting at around 7PM on Friday(from Reading) and planning to reach Cornwall at around 1AM Saturday. Planning to spend 3 nights 3 days at Cornwall.

I am in for scenic drives, adventure sport activities, quiet beaches and scenic locations suitable for photography. I would prefer countyside scenic locations away from the city.

I did explore quite a bit around Cornwall area and found these interesting

Tintagel - Castle and Merlin's cave

Lizard point

Minack Theatre

Planning to spend the whole of Sunday on Water sports

charlestownwatersports.com/index.php…

Was thinking of trying these

kayak

banana and bingo ride

Sailboard

paddleboard

May I know what are the best and quiet beaches around this area and specific scenic places which shouldn't be missed?

What is the best place to base ourselves?

Essex
Level Contributor
26,995 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itenary suggestions - 3 day trip to Cornwall

Cornwall is very popular at this time of year, so you might be out of luck completely, if you have not already booked somewhere to stay - sorry!

I think you should be looking to stay in Newquay, or at the very least near there, if you can.

It does not have it's young 'wild' but vibrant reputation for nothing!

In the UK it is the home of Surfing, you can take lessons and practice, Fistral Beach is a prime surfing beach in the world. Plus Newquay in the summer has lots of nightlife (within reason these days) that a bunch of young guys should appreciate!

Cornwall is a biggish county with LOADS of coastline, so saying which is the best, quietest, most scenic, photogenic, livliest, prettiest, most historic beaches or areas in the county is rather difficult!

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itenary suggestions - 3 day trip to Cornwall

If you want quiet beaches, you may struggle during the august bank holiday - best options are places that are at least a mile walk from a car park.

St Agnes might be a good base for you (unless you have your heart set on Charlestown) - it's a bit quieter than some of the main towns, close to some lovely beaches. There are some great Coastal roads around there if you like scenic drives (eg Porthtowan to Godrevy).

But you probably want to see what accommodation is available first, which may make the decision for you ad to where to stay!

england
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itenary suggestions - 3 day trip to Cornwall

that's a big car! Newquay has lots of young men - and a fight last night with a lot of arrests. If you are keener on quiet places stay away. Tintagel is photogenic and the youth hostel there, if you can find it, is in an amazing location. I agree you may have trouble finding anywhere to stay and advise you to contact tourist info offices before you travel. You may want to spend a night at Plymouth then move on.

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itenary suggestions - 3 day trip to Cornwall

As others have said, there will be no "quiet" beaches in Cornwall over the August Bank holiday weekend but I have two suggestions for "not quite so well-known beaches" if you go to the Porthcurno area to see the Minack Theatre.

Continue on along the "no through road" past the turning for the Minack Theatre. After about half a mile you get to St Levan church which is the end of the road. Park in the field behind the church then go back across the road and follow the footpath down to Porthchapel beach. (A 10 minute walk. The beach is not accessible at high tide)

To the other side of Porthcurno Bay, between Porthcurno beach and the Logan Rock headland, there is the small sandy beach of Pednvounder. You can only get to it from along the cliff path or (if the tide is really low) you can walk to it along the sand from Porthcurno... but if you can do that then so can all the other hundreds of people who'll be on Porthcurno beach so it rather defeats the object of finding somewhere "quiet". It's a bit of a scramble to get down onto the beach from the coastal path but it's worth it, especially if you can get their really early, just as the tide is going out and starting to expose the sand.

(And talking of exposing, I'll just mention that it's often used as an "unofficial" naturists beach.)

london
Level Contributor
132 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itenary suggestions - 3 day trip to Cornwall

Thanks for your inputs.

I checked with few of my friends who suggested that the following places are must visit in Cornwall

Mevagissey

Polperro

Looe

May I know if there is anything special about these places and what are the attractions/things to do here?

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itenary suggestions - 3 day trip to Cornwall

Hi

They are all coastal places. Polperro and Mevagissey are fishing villages with small harbours and surrounded by shops/pubs/restaurants etc. They are similar in some ways. Looe is a town on a river estuary and is in fact split in two by the river. It also has a decent beach,which the other two don't have. You can do sea fishing trips and pleasure boat trips from these places. If you click on the place names in your message above you will find more info on them.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itenary suggestions - 3 day trip to Cornwall

Newquay is a good place to base but i wouldn't recommend a central area maybe at a quieter spot maybe in Pentire near its all famous Fistral beach i would recommend either the Bay or The esplanade hotel for your base location. also i would definitely go to Stithians reservoir for your water sports as it is the best at what the do.... also i fully recommend the Minak theatre if its scenic your looking for i visited last year and saw dolphins. Also relaxing quiet beaches that i would recommend are Whipsiderry Beach Newquay, Carbis Bay St Ives and any where in Padstow xx Hope this was helpfull xxx

Cornwall
Level Contributor
1 post
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itenary suggestions - 3 day trip to Cornwall

Fab Youth Hostel/cafe at Treyarnon Bay (North Coast). Lovely beach too.

From there you can conveniently dip into the artificial madness of Newquay, the great surf school at Watergate Bay or sample quieter delights (the rest of Cornwall, just see where your car takes you...).

9. Re: Itenary suggestions - 3 day trip to Cornwall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 14:19