We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Dublin to Cornwall

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
From Dublin to Cornwall

I have been considering a trip to Cornwall but am trying to find the best route from Dublin, where is the nearest ferry to it from Ireland? I know we could fly and rent a car but was thinking it would be easier with luggage just to load our own car. Also is Newquay the best are to stay in ??

All help and suggestions would be great appreciated as I don't know where to start!!

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Dublin to Cornwall

I'm looking at a very old map on my office wall and it shows the ferries from Dublin crossing to Holyhead or Liverpool - both of which are a LONG drive to Cornwall :( If you could leave from Rosslare or Cork, you could sail to Swansea but, even then, you are looking at about another 4 hours driving.

A friend who lives in Cornwall visited Dublin last year and found flying to be easily the best way so I think you should consider it.

With regard to Newquay, unless you are young and looking for a lot of nightlife, then I would not say that it is the best place to stay. There are lots of prettier/quieter/more "Cornish" places to choose from!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,764 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Dublin to Cornwall

Looks like you have 3 ferry options

Rosslare to Fishguard with Stena Line

Rosslare to Pembroke with Irish Ferries

Cork to Swansea with Fastnet Line

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Dublin to Cornwall

Google maps suggests the fast route would be to take the Dublin > Holyhead ferry, then along north Wales, join the M56 > M6 > M5 > A30

About 10 hours travelling time in total.

Where to stay in Cornwall depends rather on what you enjoy doing while on holiday. Personally, I wouldn't stay in Newquay itself (unless it was "out of season") but many people in the under 30s age group seem to have a great time there.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Dublin to Cornwall

We went from Tralee to the nearby Devon for a folk festival a while ago. We took the car, day sailing Cork/Swansea and had a night in Cardiff. We got an overnight return sailing. I fund the experience easy going and with 2 teenagers and a nine year old, it was the most reasonable and efficient way to go.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Dublin to Cornwall

We did Fishguard to Rosslare from Cornwall several years ago, and it was a long trip. I've also done Holyhead to Dun ??(sorry can't spell it) Nr Dublin , and that was a really long drive,and i vowed not to go that way again. Flying would be so much quicker, into Newquay, but like you say,restricted on luggage and more expensive,plus you would have to hire a car.

If i was going again and didn't fly, i would go for the shortest route,even if it was a bit dearer.

6. Re: From Dublin to Cornwall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 21:17