We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Weeks in Cornwall 2012

Casa Grande
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
2 Weeks in Cornwall 2012

Flying in fom the States (Arizona) for the last week of June first week of July and staying at a timeshare.

Besides the usual request for what to see and do, I'm a photographer and would appreciate some location suggestions and my wife is a horticulturist who is going through some severe "green withdrawl" so any suggestion along the garden/forest line would also be greatly welcomed

Also where to buy groceries in the Camborne area.

Many Thanks!

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Weeks in Cornwall 2012

Hi

I presume wanting to know grocery stores in Camborne means you are staying in this area.....?! Camborne has a Tesco store and in nearby Pool there is a Morrisons.

For photography anywhere in Cornwall will offer a photo opportunity!! Camborne is an old Mining area and has plenty of old Engine houses to photograph as does Pendeen, Penzance which has them on the cliff edges....making a very dramatic back drop. Whilst in the Penzance area you must visit the Minack theatre above Porthcurno beach the views from here are captivating! There is St.Michael's Mount, Marazion. As for "greenery" if this is gardens to visit there is another post currently running on this, I've cut and pasted a bit from my post there to help. All the places I've mentioned can be found by doing a Google search. To give you an idea....Camborne to Falmouth 20-25 mins, same to Trelissick and about 25 mins to Marazion a bit longer for Pendeen/Minack.

Hope I've helped a bit :-)

Caz

Mawnan Smith (situated just outside Falmouth) has two lovely gardens to see they are:

Trebah Gardens

http://www.trebahgarden.co.uk/

And

Glendurgan Gardens

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/glendurgan-garden/

A few miles away is Enys (on the outskirts of a village called Mylor Bridge, nr Falmouth)

http://www.enystrust.org.uk/

Then about 8 miles away heading towards Truro is Trelissick Gardens

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/trelissick-gardens

Edited: 26 January 2012, 22:48
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Weeks in Cornwall 2012

Hi there,

Regarding photography, you can't go wrong in Cornwall. I assume from your post when you say locations you refer to Scenery. In that case, may I suggest you look in to what is known as the South west coast path.although this covers a few English counties in the South West in my opinion the Cornwall section is the most stunning. This is a coastal footpath that takes you through pretty fishing villages and stunning bays as well as clifftop views.

By looking at some of these places for example on google images then this will give you an idea of what to expect. Some of the classic areas that are always popular are the fishing villages/Harbours of St Ives and Padstow and an outcrop of rock pillars known as the Bedruthan steps. Type these locations into google images to give you an idea.

Best wishes

Jake

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Weeks in Cornwall 2012

Also, have a look on Geograph UK. Click on west Cornwall on the Search map, (SW square) , click again to zoom in to the grid squares of the Ordnance survey map and there are thousands of photos you can browse through for the whole area. Enjoy.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Weeks in Cornwall 2012

Hi there

There's a wealth of lovely fishing/ villages spread around the coastline - check out Polperro, Mevagissey, Fowey, Cadgwith, Coverack, Mullion, Port Isaac, to name but a few. I'd second the suggestion for the Coast path - try the section from Cape Cornwall to Portheras Cove, I walked this a couple of years ago and it takes you right through the heart of the old mining landscapes, with the Crown mines at Botallack, right down almost in the crashing waves.

Check out Charlestown, near St Austell, lovely old working harbour now usually home to square rigged sail ships.

Fowey

flickr.com/photos/…

Port Isaac

flickr.com/photos/…

Roseland

flickr.com/photos/…

St Ives, Marazion, Minack Theatre

flickr.com/photos/…

Polperro

flickr.com/photos/…

Mevagissey

flickr.com/photos/…

Botallack

flickr.com/photos/…

Charlestown

flickr.com/photos/…

The Lizard

flickr.com/photos/…

Lizard Point is a very panoramic location, a 270 degree view. Take a look at St Just-in-Roseland church, probably the most beautifully located church in the UK

5. Re: 2 Weeks in Cornwall 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2013, 10:24