We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is your best stretch of the Coastal Path and why

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
What is your best stretch of the Coastal Path and why

We are staying near Mullion in May and whilst we will do a few stretches of the coastal path with our 2 ageing spaniels on the Lizard Peninsula am wondering if had to pick one 5 mile or so stretch on the rest of the Cornwall coastal path where would it be!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is your best stretch of the Coastal Path and why

Hi Rach

For me, no contest, it would be the walk from Cape Cornwall to Portheras Cove, not sure how far that is each way, I reckon maybe 4.5 miles so a 9-10 mile round trip. I walked this in October 2009 and enjoyed every step of it. It takes you through some amazing old mining landscapes plus there are the Crown mines right down in the surf almost at Bottallack. The scenery is superb throughout the walk and I recall seeing just 4 or 5 other walkers during the walk.

A few photos here, unfortunately, I forgot to charge my camera battery the previous evening, and the camera died by the time I reached Bottallack, but the photos give a good idea of what to expect and see. The first few photos are of Carn Brea, just ignore those.

flickr.com/photos/…

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is your best stretch of the Coastal Path and why

Rach, just seen on your other thread that you pooches can manage 5-6 miles at most, so you can always do the walk above, but stop at Levant Mine, a NT property and then retrace your steps. That should be about a 5 miles round trip, or so. Just be aware that if you start at cape Cornwall, the first section swings inland for a while due to the exceptional ruggedness of the coast line, so if you want a "seascape" all the way, here's what I'd suggest.

Leave St Just on the B3306 road towards St Ives, you drop down the hill and are scarcely out of St Just when you run into Nancherrow. There's a sharp left turn, signed for Kenidjack Farm, drive along there, park up by the farm buildings, and then follow the NT waymarkers to the coast path.

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is your best stretch of the Coastal Path and why

I'll vote for the stretch from Land's End to Porthcurno. If you check the local bus timetable carefully it's possible to park at one end or the other, then catch the bus back to your car... or it used to be... not sure what the bus route is like out of season.

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is your best stretch of the Coastal Path and why

I was going to recommend a walk I did a couple of years ago from Padstow to Stepper Point and Trevone then back across the fields but on checking it I find it was 9 miles ... didn't feel that long!

http://www.bertuchi.co.uk/padstow.html

You could make it shorter by starting at Hawkers Cove

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker's_Cove,_Cornwall

Alternatively, the area around Harlyn Bay and Trevose Head offers excellent views from relatively gentle walks

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,341 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is your best stretch of the Coastal Path and why

Almost impossible to choose a favourite 5 mile stretch but Kynance Cove to Cadgwith is up there with the best! Spectacular scenery & the chance of spotting seals.

About 5 miles (one-way), around Lizard Point, includes the Lighthouse (which can be visited), Marconi Signal Station, a Coastwatch lookout in the old Coatsguard hut, the old Lifeboat House at Housel bay, the brand new expanded & upgraded Lifeboat Station at Kilcobbean Cove (this was under construction in 2010 assume now finished), pretty Church Cove with thatched cottages, the Devil's Frying Pan (collapsed cave) & the attractive little harbour village of Cadgwith.

To make 2 circular walks you could park at Lizard NT car park & walk around to Church Cove, then back via Lizard Village (& I defy you to pass Ann's Pasty Shop without purchasing the best pasties in Cornwall!). On another day park there again & walk around the coast to Kynance & with the help of a local map you can cut back across the fields. From Mullion you could possibly gat a bus to Lizard & walk all the way back along the coast - a glorious stretch is Preddanack Head.

Also look at walking Mullion to Gunwalloe, to visit the church on the beach at Church Cove (some poignant graves there), passing the Marconi Monument on the way.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is your best stretch of the Coastal Path and why

I have found very few bits that i don't like and wouldn't do again. Theres so much variety of scenery that i couldn't pick a favourite. I like sections that have a pub at the beginning or end(or both! )

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is your best stretch of the Coastal Path and why

Gosh thanks everyone for all your best walks. I shall research each and every one.

Bedcat - Any sections on the Lizard which have a pub as you suggested! Could give our dogs a welcome break!

keep them coming!

Rx

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is your best stretch of the Coastal Path and why

tsipouro liking the sound of your idea and someone else has sent me a map I think which would be for this. Pastie shop to will go down a treat with all of us including the dogs!!!

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,341 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is your best stretch of the Coastal Path and why

Better to have the same walk recommended twice over! The link on the other thread to the circular walk is excellent!

If the weather is a bit iffy in May - ie windy or chilly - the Lizard will be very bracing. You could head up towards Helston & do the walk around Loe Pool - have often seen people walking dogs around the circuit & it has the advantage of being sheltered much of the way with stretches of woodland, but also some wonderful views. Loe Bar has a wonderful expanse of sand & nearby Porthleven is an attractive little town.

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
929 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is your best stretch of the Coastal Path and why

Yes, agree with both of Tsipouro's posts. As mentioned on other thread, the Hrkford passage is also quite sheltered but still beautiful. If it's completely throwing it down, a day in and around Falmouth is nice.