We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday Lunch

Audruicq
Level Contributor
66 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday Lunch

Where is the best place to have Sunday lunch within an hour or so drive from Lostwithiel - don't mind pubs, restaurants or hotels?

Thanks

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday Lunch

Try the Royal Oak in Lostwithiel. Haven't been for a while but used to be very good. You would need to book in advance.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday Lunch

There is a huge choice within an hours drive from Lostwithiel.

If you want somewhere with a great view, try the Fowey Hotel, overlooking the river. Plenty of other choices in Fowey inc pubs and restaurants and its only a 10-15 min drive. Have a look on here at reviews of Fowey restaurants and you will soon see the best ones. Charlestown nr St Austell (15 min drive) has the Pier House and Rashleigh Arms in a lovely harbour setting, both do carverys on Sundays.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday Lunch

Hi there

Or you could try the Blue Peter Inn at Polperro, a superb real ale pub that has won many awards for it's food, all of which is locally sourced, including the fish and seafood straight off the boats in the harbour which is 50 feet from the pub's front door. Fresh isn't enough of a word. I've dined in there dozens of times over the past 10 years and always had a great meal.

http://www.thebluepeter.co.uk/

Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
601 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday Lunch

According to Google directions, exactly one hours drive from Lostwithiel, along the A30 and well worth it in my opinion is Trevaskis Farm.

http://www.trevaskisfarm.co.uk/sunday-roast

You could perhaps incorporate it into a trip further down the county.

Edited: 28 March 2012, 19:05
Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
601 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday Lunch

If you actually click on the link above for Trevaskis it brings up an error message unfortunately, but if you copy and paste it, it should work.

cheshire,uk
Level Contributor
104 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday Lunch

It has to be The Kitchen in Polperro. Pre-book though as so popular. We ring weeks in advance when we know we will be in Polperro. Eating there Friday night as well - trying the new evening menu for the first time.

Am a newby to this forum and am impressed with the quality of the information and the obvious fondness for the village.

Do like The Blue Peter too and want to try "Somewhere Else"

Edited: 31 March 2012, 00:19
cheshire,uk
Level Contributor
104 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday Lunch

Went to Somewhere last night. Very nice and it can be recommended with confidence. The kitchen tonight was excellent, as expected. Crab starter then pink spring lamb finishing with chocolate torte and 2 excellent bottles of Australian Shiraz. Quality superb, attention to detail impressive. Despite a full house and busy service Karen took the time to speak to everybody. Harry and Kim looked after everybody with charm and efficiency. What more can I say.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday Lunch

Hi Manzanilla

I haven't had the pleasure of dining there yet, although it's on the list to try. I have eaten at Couch's Great House, opposite Nelsons restaurant and it was expensive but top notch. I've also dined at "Neville's" a few times although it's currently closed (?) and on the market I believe. None of the other pubs are worth eating in, in my opinion other than the Mill House. There's a new brasserie where the Buccaneer used to be, not tried that yet either.

cheshire,uk
Level Contributor
104 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday Lunch

GB, Hi

We still pine for The Captain's Cabin. We did try Fore Street Brasserie last year about 2 weeks after it opened. Can't say more than it was OK. However, it has had good reviews from other people so perhaps they were still finding their feet. Not tried Couch's House as it did seem expensive. Not been to Nelson's for years but I know some local people who go there regularly. Hope to work my way around every eating establishment so can give honest opinions to visitors to our house during the Summer. That's my excuse anyway... Having a day off from fine dining - pasty for lunch and Coddy Shack fish and chips for supper. Mmm Mmm.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday Lunch

I lived in Polperro until 1988 and Nelson's had just been put on the market, as far as I know, it still is. As I expect you saw, The Nought & Crosses pub is no more, looks like it's being converted into flats, still ongoing work there. I believe the Mill House is on the market too.

The people who took on the Blue Peter have been there 10 years now, which doesn't seem possible. The previous landlord Terry Bicknell was a great guy, used to work as a top cameraman for one of the big London film studios and was married to Rita Tushingham at one time. When he was landlord, the pub sold beer and that was about it. If you asked for a glass of wine, it meant 20 minutes rummaging under the bar to find a bottle then you'd get it served in a half pint glass...:0)

If you asked for a Breezer or similar, he'd say, " we don't sell that crap in here"....