We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuber diving

Kent
Level Contributor
40 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Scuber diving

Hi

We are staying in Mullion in Septemeber and want to know the best place to go diving.

My boyfriend has done diving before while on holiday in spain but I have never tried it.

How much are we looking at paying? Would we be bale to dove in the sea on a first dive?

Thanks

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuber diving

"Would we be bale to dove in the sea on a first dive?"

No idea. But I suggest this site would be a good place to get info:

http://www.divingcornwall.com/

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuber diving

I am not a a scuba diver but I can say with a fair degree of certainty that you cannot do a dive in the open sea within minutes of arriving on your holidays

Try googling P.A.D.I. Courses.

There is some preliminary training before you can dive

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuber diving

Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus. SCUBA.

Go with what Leuca says, look for PADI or BSAC clubs in your local area (two different organisations) , they will do "try dives" in their pool so you can check it out first. It will also be warmer and clearer and shallower than the sea. And safer.

They can also advise on how to dive in other places in the UK, but unless you get qualified, the UK doesn't have the climate to warrant staffing up dive shops and offering a diving service on an ad hoc basis.

So most diving is run and organised by local clubs rather than there being a dive shop you can turn up to as you might in say Spain, Greece, Florida etc . But again ask at your local club.

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
756 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuber diving

There are several dive outfits in Falmouth and you may be able to do a try-dive in shallow water in one day much like you see all over the world to get you to sign up for the proper course.

For experienced divers Falmouth is fantastic for wreck dives but dry suits are best as the water is a bit nippy!

I used Looe divers a lot in the past and they have a safe shallow bit beside the school although a lot of steps back up!

Not easy with all the gear on your back and you are 60+!!!!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuber diving

There are several dive outfits in Falmouth and you may be able to do a try-dive in shallow water in one day

======

I cant find any with a working website except one for commercial diving and not one with a reference to a try dive, they are all about taking experienced divers out. The ones I can find references to are also mostly local dive clubs along the lines of "ring fred on 0123456" , so I still think you'd most likely have to arrange in advance.

Again, your local dive club would be best source of info, they will have links to other clubs in the area you are visiting.

Edited: 17 August 2012, 15:12
Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
756 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuber diving

I Googled Diving in Cornwall and several came up and 2 that I had a quick look at both do try dives in the sea.

One was Porthkerris and other was Dive Action

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scuber diving

Good find.

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Scuber diving

This one's in Newquay, but I bet there are others.

wavecrestscuba.com/02SMC/01courses/01DS.html

Edited: 18 August 2012, 07:03
9. Re: Scuber diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 03:16
Get answers to your questions about Cornwall
Recent Conversations