We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see when staying in Exeter

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
What to see when staying in Exeter

We have booked two nights in Exeter on May 10th and 11th this year with the idea that this will be a good base to explore the Cornwall area. We are a bit "over researched" as we just can't work out what to choose to do in the time we have. We will then move onto three nights in Bath. We are mid forties and will have a hire car and are interested in everything! Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see when staying in Exeter

Have you looked at a map?

Exeter is in Devon.

Devon is not Cornwall !

FWIW you cannot explore the "Cornwall area" in two days. You could visit a few places there, but forget exploring it. Two weeks, perhaps.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,437 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see when staying in Exeter

Exeter is in East Devon, maybe an hours drive to the Cornish border. You would be better staying in Bodmin or Truro, if you want to explore Cornwall.

Exeter is very pleasant and would make a good centre to explore the Exe estuary the Jurassic coast and Dartmoor.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see when staying in Exeter

Thank you for clarifying the area and I apologise for getting it wrong. So since we have actually booked the nights in Exeter what do you suggest we do/see from Exeter?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see when staying in Exeter

Dartmouth. Dawlish Warren. Dartmoor. Agatha Christies house (by reputation, not been there myself). Newton Poppleford or similar small vilage for cream tea. (check my reviews). Eden Project (in Cornwall !) if its raining all day long (would be a long day but its all indoors). Exeter Cathedral. Exmoor. Lynton and Lynmouth.

Thats one to two weeks worth :-)

Edited: 13 January 2013, 11:00
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see when staying in Exeter

Hi there

It's a real shame you will be such a relatively long way from Cornwall, although from Exeter, you can head straight along the A38 Devon Expressway which will take you to Plymouth, dual carriageway all the way, the A38 slices through the middle of Plymouth, but you don't actually have to drive in the city, and then deposits you at the Tamar Bridge, once across that you are in Saltash in Cornwall. As has been said, at a decent pace you can drive this in an hour.

If you were so intent on seeing some of Cornwall, why not see if you can cancel the Exeter hotel and look for something closer to Cornwall? St Austell makes a good central point, good roads links to most other parts of Cornwall, and is close to some great sights ( Lost Gardens of Heligan, Eden Project, Mevagissey, Fowey, Charlestown, and much more).

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see when staying in Exeter

Two nights? I'm afraid you'll only scratch the surface, to all intents you'll only have one full day to explore.

What are your travel plans for day 1? You might be able to stop off somewhere on the way.

Day 2 - A38 southwest from Exeter, to Buckfastleigh. Take a wander around the abbey there and also a look at the town. Look for the Valiant Soldier, a pub 'frozen in time' - it closed its doors in the 1950s and stayed closed for many years, now open as a museum of a pub in that era, but check on line for opening times. From BFL, take the South Devon steam railway to Totnes, plenty of parking at the station in BFL, a very picturesque ride along the valley of the River Dart. A wander on foot around Totnes, which has an eclectic collection of local shops, then train back to BFL. Back on the A38 then turn off left on the A382 for Bovey Tracey, which has a couple of nice tea shops for a cream tea, also visit the house of Marbles nearby. retrace your steps south on the A382 for Newton Abbot, and the Cider Bar in East Street, you'll either love it or hate it, but I promise you it's an experience you'll not find anywhere else. From Newton Abbot head east for Teignmouth and on to Dawlish, where you may see the black swans on the stream that runs right through the centre of Dawlish. Then back to Exeter

http://goo.gl/maps/okwK0 gives you a map of the area. All the things I've mentioned are listed on TA and have web sites as well.

Day 3 I assume you'll be travelling to Bath, you either take a quick and boring journey on the M5 northwards, or take the A 396 for Tiverton, and then north east following the A38 for Taunton, then Glastonbury, wells and on to Bath.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to see when staying in Exeter

East Devon is a very nice area to explore - you could see some of the Jurassic Coast, maybe take a boat trip from Exmouth, explore seaside towns such as Budleigh Salterton, pretty villages almost everywhere once you leave the main routes. There is also a scenic train ride up to Barnstaple.

However, you won't see much in just 2 days!

I would avoid driving to Cornwall unless you are interested in looking at traffic on busy roads.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to see when staying in Exeter

What are your travel plans for day 1? You might be able to stop off somewhere on the way.

======

They wont be arriving until the evening as they are coming from London via Portsmouth and spending the day (or whats left of it) seeing the ships there... (and the rest on the road).

This is a classic "we are coming from a long way away lets cram as much stuff in as possible until we spend all our time travelling", holiday. :-)

And a good point, I had forgotten it was 2 nights, so thats only 1 day. People really "cheat" by putting the number of nights down and that masks how much time they really have. So in fact, on their one day in Exeter, they wished to explore all Cornwall. And I poured scorn on that idea when I thought it was 2 days :-)

Same for Bath, I read it as 3 days, but its 3 nights, so onky 2 days during which the OP would like to visit Bath, Stonehenge, the surrounding areas to Bath, Cardiff and it seems Wales.

Annette, you need a more realistic itinerary :-)

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to see when staying in Exeter

Hmm, rather a case of looking at everything but seeing nothing......

I do so often wonder if visitors to these shores have any idea what travelling on our roads is really like.

Edited: 13 January 2013, 17:54
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to see when staying in Exeter

Thank you everyone for your advice and I will definitely look at our plans again and obviously tweak it! I appreciate you taking the time to respond and hope you understand that we are just excited to see as much as possible! :)

Get answers to your questions about Cornwall
Recent Conversations