We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation that is remote but not too remote

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
206 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodation that is remote but not too remote

I'm sorry if this sounds to demanding. I have been to Port Isaac a couple of times and it is really lovely but I would like to explore a bit more of Cornwall and I'm looking for another Port Isaac. Somewhere on the coast that has more than one pub/restaurant but still has a village feel.

I'm sure there are plenty of places and I am just a bit overwhelmed at the minute, some local knowledge to help me make a decision would be gratefully received.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation that is remote but not too remote

How farWest do you want to go? There is Mousehole or Sennen on the Lands End peninsular, Cadgwith on the Lizard. Further East you could consider St Mawes (slightly bigger place) Porthscatho, Portloe, Gorran Haven, Polperrro al on the south coast, On the north coast there is Boscastle, um not so many pretty villages on north coast. Probably lots more I haven't thought of but that should help you to start looking. Have a great holiday

Looking at your post again - Mousehole is a long way west but it would fulfill all your requirements and you could visit lots of places for example Lands End ST Ives St Michaels Mount Penzance Falmouth the tin mining heritage country and even a say trip to the Scillies

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation that is remote but not too remote

What about Crantock?

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation that is remote but not too remote

Crantock is pretty but not a coastal village. Not sure if it has more than one pub

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
206 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation that is remote but not too remote

Great, thanks for those replies.

I have been looking at Mousehole, looks like it exactly fits my bill. I'll have a look at the rest of your suggestions.

I have friends in Devon who we visit from time to time and we tend to fly to Bristol as Easyjet flights are frequent and reasonably priced and we will probably still do that from where it will be (most likely) down the M5, right onto A30 and along the north coast, looking for somewhere for a night there, maybe somewhere on the coast close to Camel Valley Winery (my favourite wine) and then on to west Cornwall for a few nights before heading back to Bristol (via a stop in Devon)

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation that is remote but not too remote

Just a thought - is it possible for you to fly at least one way into Newquay?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
206 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodation that is remote but not too remote

Maybe in the summer but not in March

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
206 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodation that is remote but not too remote

Turns out there are flights to Newquay - but they are inconvenient (Belfast-Manchester-Newquay) and expensive (£222 as opposed to £110 Easyjet to Bristol)

We have always found Easyjet cheaper/convenient via Bristol even allowing for the extra journey on the M5

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodation that is remote but not too remote

Mms yes I see what you mean

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomodation that is remote but not too remote

Crantock IS a coastal village, complete with beautiful beach. It has 2 pubs in the village and the Bowgie Inn (not prticularly recommended) on the outskirts. Both the pubs in the village focus on food and are very nice.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accomodation that is remote but not too remote

Point taken. What I mean is that Crantock isn't a fishing/harbour village. And I agree about it's beach - one of the best in Cornwall