We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cornwall in Aug with teenage boys

Newcastle
Level Contributor
45 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Cornwall in Aug with teenage boys

Hi TA Corwall experts!!!

I'm looking to rent a luxury cottage in Cornwall in Aug and think I have narrowed my selection down to 3 choices - The WoodKeepers Cottage, Morwenstow, The Watermill, Nr Wadebridge or The Stud, Tregonetha. Have you any views about these properties or locations?

I have chosen secluded spots where the kids can play football or cricket in the garden areas as my 15yr old step son doesn't integrate well with what he calls "random" people! The 17yr old is more outgoing though so we would be happy with a short drive to Newquay or Padstow or a village with a bit of a buzz to it - for occasional outings to civilisation for me to enjoy watching the world go by alongside some "random people"!

Ideally we are looking for advice on keeping teenage boys entertained and excited enough to want to get out of bed before midday.....is this really too much to ask?! I'd love to spend some time in village pubs with something available for the boys to enjoy. We all really enjoy pub quiz nights and dining out.

Any activities will probably have to be 'private' so surf school sessions and extreme sports excite me but would need to be just for the 4 of us. Please help - every holiday (from cruises to kids centre holidays) has been a disaster as the youngest spent most of the week in the cabin/room watching TV!

:0)

england
Level Contributor
244 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cornwall in Aug with teenage boys

Be proud of your years!

I looked at the Watermill near Wadebridge and it would suit your needs well: There is a cinema in Wadebridge, cute shops for you and local pubs. For a day out I'd suggest a trip to Padstow. For surf lessons try Harlyn Surf School at Harlyn Bay. The pub for drinks afterwards is just opposite the beach.

Elfin

Newcastle
Level Contributor
45 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cornwall in Aug with teenage boys

Thank you Elfin for the quick reply. I really appreciate your advice.

There seems to be so many choice available!!

With reference to good beaches - where would you recommend to go with a nice little beach cafe or something happening for entertainment?

Thank you.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,579 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cornwall in Aug with teenage boys

Elfin has some good suggestions there. Can I just add a drive to Polzeath might make a good day out too. There is quite a surfy vibe that the boys might enjoy and some quirky little shops to have a mooch around.

Do they enjoy cycling? A bike ride along the Camel trail is enjoyable, you can hire bikes from Wadebridge or Padstow and they can be as solitary as they like!

england
Level Contributor
244 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cornwall in Aug with teenage boys

Hi,

One that springs to mind is the Beach Hut at Watergate Bay. Really tasty food and friendly service. Great for surfer watching.

Elfin

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cornwall in Aug with teenage boys

I think I'd better point out that The Watermill (which looks fab) is several miles away from Wadebridge in a very rural location at Withiel which is as near to Bodmin as it is to Wadebridge. You'll need to be confident about single track lanes with passing places - I avoid that particular area if I can and I'm used to narrow lanes!

But you'll still be able to get to the north coast in 40 mins or so and there are several surf schools and surf hire at Polzeath which Annabelle has already suggested and it's usually full of teenagers in the August holidays.

And there's also this firm who do coasteering and kayaking nearby. My son has used them several times. http://www.cornishcoastadventures.com/

Also have a look at the Extreme Academy at Watergate Bay: www.watergatebay.co.uk/extremeacademy.htm

Lots of interesting and challenging ideas there.

england
Level Contributor
244 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cornwall in Aug with teenage boys

Hi,

have a look at padstowsealifesafaris.co.uk. They do power boat trips to Port Isaac and you can also hire a boat for a bespoke trip. Might amuse your lot and is something different.

Elfin

Newcastle
Level Contributor
45 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cornwall in Aug with teenage boys

Hi Annabelle,

Thank you for your advice. The boys' Dad unfortunately cannot ride a bike but I like your suggestion anyway! I will also make a point to visit to Polzeath. Thank you.

Hi Sammysgranny

You have me thinking now about the Watermill! I don't mind the hairpin bends and single track roads but my husband is very nervous in unfamiliar areas so that is a concern. According to the holiday cottage company the nearest pub to the Watermill is 16 miles away too! A bit far for an evening stroll I think! May have to rethink the accommodation options as we don't want to be too isolated! But I will definitely look at the adventure options given as this sounds right up my street!

Thank you again Elfin - you have been so helpful already - keep me posted on anything else you can suggest as I really appreciate all the advice offered.

Ax

Newcastle
Level Contributor
45 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cornwall in Aug with teenage boys

Thank you all for your great advice. I booked the Watermill after all and will no doubt be the one enduring the drive through the winding roads - it's all about the adventure eh?!! Just as long as my husband learns to breathe through the tight corners or keep his eyes shut! I have also booked surf lessons and a kayak trip with Harlyn Surf School and a Deep Sea fishing trip with EmmaKate2 so pleased with my plan so far.

I guess I am now just looking for a cute pub or two (preferably serving great food, with a pretty beer garden and if possible a good local quiz) and a few local cafe/restaurants to head to!

We arrive on Sunday afternoon from Alton Towers - any top travel tips to Withiel? or advice on pubs, cafes etc would be most greatly appreciated!!

Andrea

9. Re: Cornwall in Aug with teenage boys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 06:18