We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for first Cornwall holiday - and totally overwhelmed

london
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for first Cornwall holiday - and totally overwhelmed

Sorry if this is a 'how long is a piece of string' request but my husband and I want to go on a self-catering holiday in Cornwall for a week in early May. We have never been and I am struggling to decide what area to pick. We would like somewhere that is pretty, (either coastal or in-land), we like cycling and walking, we'd like some restaurants / pubs in easy driving distance.

Any jumping off points would be a massive help!

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for first Cornwall holiday - and totally overwhelmed

Hello! You can go anywhere in Cornwall and find lots of lovely places. If you stay inland you won't be far from the coast. Perhaps best to concentrate on finding a nice property that sUits your budget, more than any specific location. For cycling, you could stay near the Camel Trail (Padstow to Bodmin) or the coast to coast trail ( Portreath on the north coast to Devoran near Falmouth) Bike hire is available on both trails.

london
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for first Cornwall holiday - and totally overwhelmed

Thanks, I will look into them

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
913 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for first Cornwall holiday - and totally overwhelmed

Have a look at the Rock/Daymer Bay/Polzeath area as a base. I think it might give you everything you're looking for. You can access the Camel Trail either from Padstow (foot ferry across from Rock) or from Wadebridge (10-15 mins drive) or from Bodmin (30 mins drive). And the scenery and walks are stunning.

The site below has some good photos and information about the area and also offers good quality self catering properties.

johnbraycornishholidays.co.uk/holidays-in-no…

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for first Cornwall holiday - and totally overwhelmed

Hi there

Another possibility that certainly hits the wow factor would be Polperro. Lots of good restaurants and pubs, tiny, narrow streets and of course, it's a working fishing village. There's lots of holiday accommodation from B & B's to hotels to cottages, much of it with great views. There's the coastal path running in either direction from the village and there's a regular bus service into Looe and Liskeard.

Not sure about cycling opportunities, but once "up the hill" and above the village, the road is pretty flat all the way into Looe (excpept for the drop down West Looe Hill) plus there are miles of little lanes.

Polperro

flickr.com/photos/…

Info & accommodation

www.polperro.org

Edited: 08 April 2013, 08:19
cheshire,uk
Level Contributor
104 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for first Cornwall holiday - and totally overwhelmed

Have a look at Holidaylettings.co.uk which is part of Trip Advisor. I agree with GB that Polperro is a good place to stay and convenient for lots of other places to visit. Look at cottages with their own parking in The Coombes, Polperro. No harbour views but more convenient.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for first Cornwall holiday - and totally overwhelmed

Some great suggestions there. To add to the confusion, take a look at Fowey. http://www.fowey.co.uk/

Lovely little riverside estuary town mid way down the South coast, so well located for exploring Cornwall.

lots of good restaurants, pubs, a few nice shops. Boat trips on the river and ferry to another lovely little village, Polruan on the opposite side of the river. Easy access to the coast paths, and a wide variety of accomodation choices.

A network of cycle trails 'Cornwalls clay trails' are accessed from nearby Par, a 5 min drive away. http://www.claytrails.co.uk/

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for first Cornwall holiday - and totally overwhelmed

Lovely walks around Fowey too! It's quite hilly but then most of Cornwall is like that. Fowey is just the prettiest town and it's close (walking distance) to dramatic cliff scenery too.

london
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for first Cornwall holiday - and totally overwhelmed

Wow, this is all so helpful, thank you!

Basingstoke
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for first Cornwall holiday - and totally overwhelmed

In case you haven't already been overwhelmed with choice! I shall chuck another one into the mix! Ive stayed here 4-5 times and will always go back, sounds perfect for what you are looking for and right next to padstow! english-country-cottages.co.uk/cottages/…

Basingstoke
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for first Cornwall holiday - and totally overwhelmed

completely forgot to mention its also really close to the camel trail, which is great for walking or cycling, and also in padstow town they offer cycle hire!