We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help!!!!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
252 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
help!!!!

what is the difference between north and south cornwall, are they pretty similar or is there a better side to visit?

would either one be better when visiting in September or does it not make much difference, weather wise..

looking to camp 4 nights and b&b/SC 2 nights.. want to see the sights/pubs/good food

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,586 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help!!!!

The north coast is more rugged while the south coast tends to be calmer. It very much depends what you want from your holiday, but to base it on north or south really wouldn't be a consideration. Better to look at individual towns or villages to see which gives the best options for you. There really won't be a lot of difference in the weather, although exposed places on the north coast can tend to be more windy, but really, when you look at the distances involved you will realise there won't be a noticeable difference in temperature.

It's a bit like asking is the weather better in Newcastle than in Gateshead?

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help!!!!

If you come down to the West of Cornwall it's only a few miles from North to South so in one day you can easily do both.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
252 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help!!!!

We have decided to visit Padstow, Looe Bay and St Ives.

Camping for a few nights each at Padstow and Looe Bay after coming across some lovely campsites.

Looking to stay in hotel/B&B in St Ives, nothing secured yet so open to suggestions.

Thanks

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help!!!!

How ever did you decide! Can you suggest any B and B that sound good to you? We are traveling to Cornwall early September....

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help!!!!

Not disagreeing with Annabelle, who is a resident of Cornwall, but the weather can be dramatically different from one part of Cornwall to another, however this isn't really predictable in advance , and not something to base your decision on. But be aware on a day to day basis of the fact.

A few years ago we stayed in Hayle, on the North coast, during the hottest two weeks of the year. For a week of our stay, people staying around the campsite were freezing in a bank of persistant fog, whilst we were traveling over to the Lizard and appropriately basking in 25degree sunshine all day

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help!!!!

Hello Chappers. If you were staying on the coast what you experienced may have been sea mist, which can be a real nuisance on hot days , at least on the north coast, don't know about the south. Luckily it doesn't usually come up until the evening

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,586 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help!!!!

Indeed the weather is very localised in Cornwall, but it is not dependant on which coast you are on, hence my reply. Even in the three miles I travel to work there is a difference at times, we can have rain at home, and it never arrives at work.

More often than not we have a thick mist in the morning when it is going to be a sunny day, once the sun burns it off, it's beautiful. And I don't live on the coast!

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help!!!!

Sandy I can assure you it was pretty much permenant fog, wee thought it would clear on the 1st day after that we were coming back from our day on the Lizard and people on the campsite were moaning about how lousey the weather had been, we were telling people to go over to the lizard but unbelievably some were saying oh I'm not driving all the way over there maybe it will be better tomorrow, well for a week it never really cleared. The life boat stations are good sources of information for local weather conditions

Looking back through my diary it was few years more ago than I thought 2003 last week of July first week of August.

Newcastle, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: help!!!!

Hi, we stayed in a place called 'Polkerris' on the south coast next to Fowey. We rented a caravan (one of only 6 i think) It's such a pretty place, with a good pub, it's called The Rashley Inn, i think, and a restaurant right on the beach! I'm also from Newcastle and we are hoping to go again this summer, its been one of the best holidays i've had, and i don't normally even like caravans! They are all new and updated caravans with sea views, and verandahs.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: help!!!!

Hi the north side i found was more intreasting..views.and just alot more to do.wr stayed in looe last year i found it a bit boaring and you just need a car to get every where.

Get answers to your questions about Cornwall
Recent Conversations