We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Cornwall to propose

London, United...
11 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Cornwall to propose

Hi there,

I'm thinking of staying in Cornwall to propose to my girlfriend and am looking for a beautiful place to stay. Ideally I'd like a nice town with restaurants, quirky cobbled streets and a beach. The plan is to take her for a meal and then propose on the beach after. I think I've narrowed it down to St Ives, Fowey or Padstow.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Cornwall to propose

Any of the above would be nice towns to stay in.

If you happen to choose St Ives you might also like to consider having the meal at the Old Success Inn, Sennen Cove, where you can just step across the narrow road and go down onto the beach - try and choose a clear evening and you'll get a wonderful sunset.

Another idea for a proposal at that end of the county: The Minack Theatre is worth visiting (google images if you're not familiar with it) and there's a lovely Romeo & Juliet type of box there... you could persuade your lady to go into the box to take photos and then go down onto the stage just below her, drop dramatically to one knee, and do your speech...

Good luck wherever you choose :-)

London, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Cornwall to propose

Wow what a great reply. I've just googled the theatre and it looks beautiful...I think I'd have to pluck up the courage to propose that way, plus there might be a few others around! But really like the idea of the Romeo and Juliet style box... very romantic.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Cornwall to propose

Struggling to better those suggestions, but one thing I would say is I would do the proposal thing first, you will be a bag of nerves all through your meal, I know i was and i hadn't planned anything anywhere near as dramatic.

Indeed good luck.

London, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Cornwall to propose

Good idea! Perhaps a couple of glasses of wine beforehand will be in order...not too many though! So do you guys think that St Ives is the place to go? Ideally I'd like a nice selection of restaurants to choose from which are close to the beach - just as Blorengia suggested.

Thanks again...

st Ives
Level Contributor
136 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Cornwall to propose

Try Porthmeor Beach Restaurant in St Ives for your proposal. Excellent food, fine wines, open-air eating and world class sunsets.

St Ives fulfils all your demands:quirky cobbled streets, plenty of good restaurants and not one, but five of the best beaches that you'll find anywhere.

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Cornwall to propose

St Ives would be a very good choice.

How long are you planning to stay for your holiday/break?

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Cornwall to propose

mousehole

London, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Cornwall to propose

Porthmeor looks very nice too. Thanks for the suggestion. I am planning to whisk her away for only a couple of nights or a long weekend. I would like to have a longer trip but I need to save my holiday for when the baby is born as I haven't been in my new job long enough to qualify for paternity pay.

I also had the idea of paying for a classical musician/s to perform her 3 favourite songs on the beach after the meal... ideally a classical version of it's a 'wonderful world.' I think it would be nice to have a little dance to the song and then propose.

It's a long shot but does anyone know of any classical musicians in the area??

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
929 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Cornwall to propose

There are lots of musicians around west Cornwall. Try Sue Aston, if she's not around she knows loads of other musicians.http://www.sueaston.com

10. Re: Where to stay in Cornwall to propose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 05:18