We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eden Project for a day - from London

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Eden Project for a day - from London

Hello all,

I hope you can help. Is it doable to do a day trip to the Eden Project leaving from London early in the morning by trains and coming back at noon? As I calculated I should be able to spend 4 hours at the Project, no more. Is it enough??

FOr those who disagree, any recommendations of where to stay?

Thanks

J

Peterborough
Level Contributor
379 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eden Project for a day - from London

Little confused about 5 hours + travelling just to get there It opens at 10-00am and you want to leave at noon giving you just 2 hrs there ?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,431 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eden Project for a day - from London

You have a location of London on your profile but I suspect you aren't located there as the timetable you suggest is not doable.

Depending on when you plan to travel - it definitely matters - the first train from London Paddington to St Austell departs at 0706 and arrives at 1144. Add to that travel time from St Austell to the Project and you would have zero time to visit, should you wish to take a return train at 1236 or 1349. There is a train from St Austell at 1658, arriving at Paddington at 2121.

When do you want to make this journey, on a weekday or at the weekend?

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,538 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eden Project for a day - from London

If you want to do the trip in a day, you won't be leaving at lunchtime as you will be just arriving then, you will need to leave around 6-7, there is a train weekdays at 18:40 which gets into Paddington at 23:44.

Although I have done this in the opposite direction, going to London for work events, to be honest it is far too much for a day trip.

As for where to stay if you do an overnight, this depends very much on your budget.

Level Contributor
3,385 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eden Project for a day - from London

A compromise would be to use the sleeper trains, it would allow longer in st austell but not cost you an overnight hotel

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eden Project for a day - from London

If you can make the Eden Project then Kew Gardens is a wonderful alternative, and very near to London.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eden Project for a day - from London

it doable to do a day trip to the Eden Project leaving from London early in the morning by trains and coming back at noon?

----------

No.

Harrogate
Level Contributor
219 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eden Project for a day - from London

Not doable by train but perhaps if you fly? Just to use a dummy date I looked at Flybe for Sat 27th July. There is a flight from Gatwick at 0905 which lands at Newquay at 1015. You would then have to get a taxi/hire car to Eden Project. There is a flight back from Newquay departing 1815 which gets you into Gatwick at 1925. It will be a long and fairly tiring day but if getting there and back in a day is important I think that is how I would do it.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
45,086 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eden Project for a day - from London

I think it would be doable by train, but not necessarily enjoyable!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eden Project for a day - from London

think it would be doable by train, but not necessarily enjoyable!

=========

Not if the OP wishes to leave by noon and have 4 hours there (since it doesn't open until 10 apparently).

Why they wish to leave by noon, they haven't said.

Lancing, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Eden Project for a day - from London

I agree with HarrogateMoonraker that this is much better if you fly from Gatwick to Newquay.

From my own experience when working in West Sussex, it is not only quicker bust also cheaper to fly than to catch the train