We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to drive to Cornwall to avoid traffic.

Surbiton, Surrey
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
When to drive to Cornwall to avoid traffic.

We are travelling from Salisbury on Saturday 27th july and are heading for Padstow. I was thinking of stopping off near Exeter to break up the journey, but i really dont want to get stuck in traffic. does anyone know the best time of day to avoid or the best routes to avoid traffic. I was thinking of leaving salisbury around 530 am. or would it be better to leave mid-late afternoon? Any tips gratefully received. Thanks.

Essex
Level Contributor
29,146 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to drive to Cornwall to avoid traffic.

4am....

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to drive to Cornwall to avoid traffic.

Leave as early as possible and don't stop unless you have to. I wouldn't stop at Exeter unless you particularly want to see something there. it will just delay you and you will catch the jams around Temple on Bodmin Moor. Get to Cornwall and off then A30 then slow down, find somewhere to stop for a while if you want. If you leave late afternoon 4pm onwards, you may have a reasonable journey down also.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,609 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: When to drive to Cornwall to avoid traffic.

November

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
757 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to drive to Cornwall to avoid traffic.

Friday and Saturday are usually change-over days so more people on road.

Driving through the night is also quieter but many people have the same idea, especially in the hot weather!

Leaving around 5 should be OK I would think as it is not really all that busy at the moment in this area despite the perfect weather.

Edited: 23 July 2013, 06:19
Surbiton, Surrey
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to drive to Cornwall to avoid traffic.

Thank you

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to drive to Cornwall to avoid traffic.

Early morning

7. Re: When to drive to Cornwall to avoid traffic.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 05:17