We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March?

Midland, TX
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
March?

I just checked, and I can't get into Pedn Olva, and lots of other places, at the time of year when I came to England last year which was the first week in July. The weather was absolutely perfect then. Little rain. Lots of sun. Even a little hot. (Not compared to Midland, Tx, but hot-ish.) Airline flights are much cheaper and hotels are available in March. I know the weather changes so suddenly in most of England, but is it generally "cold" like in you need a coat and heavy socks and boots and coats in March in Cornwall? Or, is it pretty nice, generally? Is it "likely" to rain every day for weeks or what? I'm retired, but I sometimes work part-time in our school district and spring break is in mid-March. That would be an easy time to come. It's such a long way--I don't want to waster such a hard trip and then have really cold weather. I know it could happen anytime, but in your experience, what are the odds it might be pretty nice in mid-March. I would love a tiny storm though. Hee Hee. Thanks soooo much for your help!

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,583 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March?

I am usually still wearing coat and boots in March, although there is always the chance of a sunny day. March can also be quite windy, and yes, there is a good chance it will rain. Daylight hours are also quite restricted.

If you are coming looking for decent weather, I would say come another time. But having said that, if you are prepared to wrap up a bit when necessary, it can be beautiful.I love a walk along the beach in the cold, with few people around and then warm up with a hot chocolate in a café overlooking the sea and watching the waves crash in.

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
948 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: March?

I would hesitate to give you odds, but I have been looking at the weather in March historically. I would say you have a better chance of gales than really nice weather, but you may get lucky! I

The other thing that to bear in mind is at that time of year lots of restaurants and attractions will be on winter hours, if open at all. If your memories are of a buzzing St Ives in July, you may not want to tarnish them with a quiet drizzly week in March.

Having said that, I had my first holiday in St Ives in early March and loved it, despite the overcast weather. But I like running on rainy beaches and watching windy seas from a nice room!

If you really can't come at another time (May, June or September) you might want to consider going to another part of Cornwall. Falmouth is a buzzing place even in the winter and the rain.

If you have the first week of July free you should still be able to find somewhere in Cornwall add is not the main school holiday period in the UK. Look at Fowey, or Padstow as well as Falmouth.

Midland, TX
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: March?

Thanks so much for your replies. I really appreciate your insight!

Midland, TX
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: March?

Jezzyka, you mentioned May--is it generally nice in May or would June or July give me a better chance of "nice" weather?

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: March?

Unless you are specifically planning a beach holiday, then I think March could be a lovely time to visit Cornwall. The weather is rarely very cold in Cornwall, although the last couple of winters we have had some exceptionally cold spells, and by March things should be warming up a bit and the days will be getting longer, although the clocks don't change till the end of March.

The question about March weather is rather like 'how long is a piece of string?'. March 2012 saw the hottest weather all year, but then most of that year was exceptionally bad weather wise. This year March wasn't really any worse than April or May. It is the time of year us Cornish gardeners usually get out in the garden after the winter lull, enjoying some warmer weather and starting to sow our seeds.

In many ways I would prefer a March holiday in Cornwall - less crowded towns, villages and coastal paths, roads less congested (it's almost impossible to get around the county in the summer months), most attractions open or starting to open in preparation for Easter, and the gardens will be looking lovely with the last of the spring flowers. And cheaper flights and hotels would be an added bonus.

London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: March?

When are you thinking of visiting in May? It is nice weather but less chance of getting a heatwave as in June or July.

TX
Level Contributor
5,735 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: March?

We spent a week in Cornwall in March 2012 (the only time of the year we're able to travel to England), and found it chilly for the most part, but not uncomfortable. We often did not go without our coats, although I do recall shedding them one lovely afternoon in St. Ives. We didn't get rain per se, but a bit of drizzle here and there. As mentioned above, a number of attractions were not yet open for the season, but we still found plenty to see and do. Perhaps because it was not high tourist season, we felt as though we were able to interact more with the locals than might be possible if places were crowded. We absolutely fell in love with the people of Cornwall, and would love to return for a visit - even in March!

Midland, TX
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: March?

Thanks for your replies. Richard, I don't know exactly when in March. I'm just starting to plan and trying to decide when might be a good time to visit. I visited Oxfordshire this year in July and it was nice. Kind of hot actually. Many of the wild flowers and most of the wisteria was already gone--but, still quite lovely. I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks so much.

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: March?

Weather, schmeather. no use planning anything around potential weather in this country. I have been away in March and had glorious weather and been away in July and had the tent blown down and torrential downpours for two weeks. Come when you can and be prepared for whatever mother nature throws at you. cornwall is lovely whatever the weather just a different experience.

10. Re: March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 06:23