We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Had a lovely time in Cornwall

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Had a lovely time in Cornwall

Just back from a week in Cornwall. I haven't been until last week for a few years and decided to go there. I stayed in a campsite near Polperro and Looe, and that was our base for the week. On our first day we checked out Polperro (as I've said, I expected the car park charges) and at first we thought 3 hours was too much but found out it wasn't enough as we later paid a return visit. Grabbed a hot drink near the harbour. Than spent the afternoon in nearby Looe. Was blessed that first day as it was very hot and warm, and lovely.

The second day was a bit random. Visited Trago Mills (it was a lovely walk in the area around) before going to a Cavern nearby which was just because we saw a sign for it. Quite interesting, but didn't expect it to be made by hand, and still interesting. We went at the right time as it wasn't busy.

On the third day, we went back to Polperro and went on a boat trip around the coast. It was £5 for adults, and we where the only two on the boat, 3 if you count the skipper. It was really good, seeing the coastline from the boat was lovely as the coastline was very ragged, quite unlike the white cliffs of home. Would recommend it especially if not many get on. The boat we went on was called the Smuggler. Much enjoyable as not really done a boat trip before (apart from the ferries to France/Ireland and one around Pett may years ago but anyway).

On the fourth day, we headed towards Falmouth but changed our mind and went elsewhere. We went down a road that ended up taking us to a ferry to Fowey (try saying that drunk), so Fowey was our first port of call. It was a lovely place to visit, nice harbour, nice streets, just a lovely, picturequest place to visit. Spent over 3 hours there again, time flies in Cornwall. We got back to the vehicle just as the heavens opened so that was good timing. Headed towards St Austral, and found a sign for Charlestown, so decided to have another visit as haven't been for years. Found a carpark and walked towards the harbour. Found a strange building and was most confused, until someone said, that it was from a film set as filming a Pirate (as in Pirates of the high seas, not a Pirate movie if that makes sense). Saw a Pirate ship that was part of the film set, which was good.

We later wandered around the shipwreck museum, but I guess that is a review, so I won't say much apart from I had my first scone with clotted cream and jam ;)

More to continue.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Had a lovely time in Cornwall

On the fifth day, we popped to Truro and did a bit of shopping, but don't think that is very interesting to the TA community, so I won't say much.

On the last full day popped to Mevagissey, a place a very close family member who enjoyed so we decided to visit. Another lovely place. Enjoyed the free museum and free aquarium there. Another beautiful harbour. We paid for two hours and it seemed to fly by!

All in all I enjoyed visiting Cornwall, a place I hadn't visited since I was a teen and it was nice to relax, and not go mad on the distances for a change :)

I hope my report isn't too boring, I'm not the greatest at it, and been a stranger to the Cornwall forum part also. It took forever getting back though as got stuck in Traffic near stonehenge, and took about 9 hours to get back.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 15:30
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sidari
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Had a lovely time in Cornwall

Hi Tarry11....

So pleased that you enjoyed your holiday in Cornwall...it really is a lovely place to visit and so many different things to see. I'm lucky because I live in Cornwall.

Fi

Edited: 10 September 2013, 15:44
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Had a lovely time in Cornwall

Thank you, yes it was a lovely time, nice to take it easy too.

I was glad I went to Trago Mills as I bought some shorts as I had none and I sure needed them for Thursday, so warm.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Had a lovely time in Cornwall

Good report and glad you enjoyed yourselves

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Had a lovely time in Cornwall

Thank you Sandy, it was good :)

6. Re: Had a lovely time in Cornwall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 06:19