We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cornwall suitable for limited walking ability?

australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
cornwall suitable for limited walking ability?

I have a foot deformity which limits my ability to walk on sloping ground. I can walk on the flat for an hour and a few steps are ok but am wondering if Cornwall would be beyond my capabilities as it seems to be very hilly. We don't want to get there and find I cannot see much due to hills/slopes.

Have been to the UK before and found it challenging in places where you have to park the car outside the city and do lots of walking. Our plan this time was to visit Cornwall, Portsmouth and Wales but unless someone on TA can give me some advice we are thinking of scrapping the idea of travelling to the other side of the world and holidaying here in good old Oz. I really want to go to the UK one last time but need to be sensible about my limitations. Please help. Any advice on attractions I would be able to manage?

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,959 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cornwall suitable for limited walking ability?

Can't comment on Cornwall but I can give some assurances about North Wales.

Away from the coast it is indeed hilly but the coastal area is flat for walking

There is a splendid walk along the pier and Esplanade in Llandudno and most of the town is flat with access to many shops and cafes on the flat.

Beaumaris on Anglesey is flat too , smaller pier but it is level.

Bangor pier is a great vantage point, parking very close and a fine walk on the pier.

A level promenade at Trearddur Bay on Anglesey

There is a long level tarmacced cycle path walkway along the North Wales coast from Rhyl to Llandudno accessible at places like Abergele, Llandulas . You can walk next to the sea on a good level surface for miles.

Abergele Main Street is flat, a couple of decent pubs and a cafe or two if you need a place for a stop off near the A55' , St Asaph is hilly as are Denbigh and Ruthin.

Caernarfon is fairly level in parts, avoid Conwy and its steep street.

In Snowdonia Betws-y-Coed is surrounded by hills as is Llanberis but the main streets are fairly level .

australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cornwall suitable for limited walking ability?

Thanks...I have already been to Llandudno (fabulous place)...good to hear Snowdonia is going to be ok!

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cornwall suitable for limited walking ability?

There are some flat bits of Cornwall - for example the stretch from Newlyn to Marazion (via Penzance) is flat all the way (steep hills all around though) You'd be able to enjoy vista's of Mount's Bay.

With car you'd be able to get to some nice flat beaches nearby as well, eg Sennen, Porthcurno, Porthleven. As for attractions - The Eden project is in an old quarry but I think there is an accessibility train (best check with them).

But yes, lots of Cornwall is hilly so you'd need to plan carefully.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,978 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cornwall suitable for limited walking ability?

There's a term "miles without stiles" now being used for walks that are accessible for those in wheelchairs or pushing buggies. They tend to be on reasonable surfaces and without serious gradients, so perhaps the sort of thing that would suit you. Doing a search on "miles without stiles" + Cornwall gave a link to this page which has lots of suggestions - hope there are some that appeal:

accessiblecountryside.org.uk/southwest/…

australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cornwall suitable for limited walking ability?

Thanks so much for the advice! The accessible countryside link was very good. Maybe we will still be able to go to your wonderful country one more time. The UK is the only part of the world that interests us, unfortunately. Just so far away...! We had such a great time in 2010; everyone was so nice and friendly...but it nearly left me lame, particularly in Bath where we had to park miles from anywhere. not making that mistake again.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cornwall suitable for limited walking ability?

The Cornish coastal footpath is flat for a couple of miles along the north coast between Portreath and Godrevy, with car parking right beside the path. Fabulous views and perfect for anyone with mobility issues

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,978 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cornwall suitable for limited walking ability?

As I expect you've seen the accessible countryside site does cover the other areas you've mentioned. Some of the National Park authorities have walk sections on their websites with filters that could help you choose something appropriate - this is the "umbrella site" with links to the individual national parks:

http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/

There are areas of the country known for being flat - much of East Anglia is relatively so - don't know if that's an area you've been before.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,800 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cornwall suitable for limited walking ability?

Visit East Anglia. It's flatter than flat and has endless coast. Many places have few tourists (at least very few foreign tourists) and usually a reasonable amount of parking.

Sounds like it may be distance for walking that is more of an issue rather than hills though. Somewhere like Cambridge is really really flat, but the easiest parking is at a park and ride so you have to walk to a bus. Lots of other places like this too.

Assuming you are traveling with a companion, would they mind driving you some place, dropping you off, and then going to park? Sounds like this would solve some issues. It won't be too hard if you have a sat nav.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cornwall suitable for limited walking ability?

Would agree re the East, though it's by no means ENTIRELY flat. Both the coast and inland towns would be excellent, and most have easy and non-remote parking - eg Lavenham, Long Melford, Sudbury, Harwich, Thaxted, Aldeburgh. Cambridge has park and ride. Also relatively few tourists (save in central Cambridge)

australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cornwall suitable for limited walking ability?

Some really good advice here...thank you everyone! We did consider the East of England but ruled it out due to time constraints. We actually have friends in St Ives Cornwall and they want us to stay a week with them, and I absolutely must go back to Wales as I love the place and know the walking is easy. It's not so much the distance walked but slopes, believe it or not. Since having knee and foot surgery I cannot walk up a slope at all. Steps are ok in moderation. I want to see the Mary Rose in Portsmouth and hope this is accessible but I realise this is not the forum for Portsmouth. Also wanted to see Rye but ruled it out immediately due to the pictures I've seen; seems to be very hilly. But thanks again everyone for all the help.