We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town in Cornwall has the best sights

Malaysia
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which town in Cornwall has the best sights

We are seniors and planning to take the train from Southampton to Cornwall in June.

We are Asian and have hot and humid climate all year round. Please share with us

which is the best place to visit Truro, Falmouth or St. Ives. We want a town where we can

view beautiful sights and walk along the coastal path.

Level Contributor
2,799 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which town in Cornwall has the best sights

Of those, I think St Ives is the most attractive. It has lots of interesting shops and restaurants and s couple of art galleries, including the Tate.

However Falmouth is also a good choice as it has the maritime museum, a good castle and feels a bit bigger and livelier.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which town in Cornwall has the best sights

Thank you.

Otley, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which town in Cornwall has the best sights

I looked at the popular places to visit and made a list of what appealed to us. Then checked out where they were located on a map. And then I found Penzance a great base....it is not as pretty or quaint as some other places, but it has good transport links to the rest of west Cornwall....we took the train to St Ives, it is close to St Michael's Mount, we walked to Mousehole twice on the coastal path. There were plenty of nice restaurants for the evening. We really loved it. I am going to investigate Falmouth as a base for next time round though!

Bodmin, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which town in Cornwall has the best sights

Of the 3 I would recommend visiting Falmouth. The Maritime Museum and high street are fantastic. Plus the coast path from Falmouth to Helford Passage is stunning, with plenty to see.

truro
Level Contributor
892 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which town in Cornwall has the best sights

St Ives is the prettiest town in Cornwall by far.I live in Cornwall and love St Ives for it's coastine,shops and qaintness.The only other place I would recommend is a town called Fowey which is beautiful too.Lots of coastal walks,very much a town full of Cornish history with a pretty harbour.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which town in Cornwall has the best sights

Each to their own naturally but as a person who had the pleasure of living in Cornwall for several years, I would certainly add Mevagissey, Polperro, Port Isaac, Cadgwith, Coverack and Padstow as pretty ffishing towns/villages well worth considering

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,285 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which town in Cornwall has the best sights

Falmouth always seems less touristy and a bit more "local" to me, with plenty to do and lots of eating and drinking options (including my all time favourite fish and chip shop, Harbour Lights), and for those reasons it gets my vote.

Mike

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which town in Cornwall has the best sights

Hello! You may by now have realised that Cornwall has lots of lovely places. But if you are coming by train, and presumably not having a car while here, you need to choose somewhere with decent public transport options. On that criteria, your best choices are Falmouth, St Ives, Penzance and possibly Looe. Truro is the best transport hub, but it's not on the coast.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which town in Cornwall has the best sights

We stayed for a week in Mevagissey and had some lovely walks along the cliffs in both directions. Our cottage was high and overlooked the harbour, so gorgeous views. Have to agree with #8 that Cornwall has some beautiful places. We had a car and also did some lovely day trips . So it probably depends on how you will be getting around.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,323 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which town in Cornwall has the best sights

From Falmouth you can take the ferry across to St Mawes, which opens up more possible coastal & estuary walks & views. Or you can take a boat up the Fal river towards Truro (how far you get on any particular trip depends on the tides). Also worth having a day out to Fowey (someone with more local knowledge would know of bus connections from Falmouth), where again you can mooch around the town/harbour or walk the coast path or take a choice of two ferries across the river.