We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing boats

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing boats

Hi! We're not familiar with England at all, but we're going for several days next June - and I had a rather specific question. I'm an oil painter, and I particularly love to paint old fishing boats. I would like to get some (a lot) of reference photos for paintings to be done in my studio. I think I've heard that Cornwall would be the best area of England for that. Can anyone suggest specific towns with boats with character? Out of Cornwall would be ok too. We're flying in to Gatwick, and can really go anywhere we want (no agenda yet, except boats!) Thanks so much!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing boats

Hi there

Cornwall is replete with fishing villages, most of which will have a few older boats in various stages of repair or simply falling to pieces. To start with...

Polperro

Mevagissey

Fowey

Cadgwith

Coverack

Port Isaac

Padstow

Mousehole

Mullion Cove

St Ives

Have a look, see what you think...40 or more photographic sets of most of the places I've mentioned

flickr.com/photos/…

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,231 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing boats

Although you have posted this in the Cornwall forum you do indicate you would consider other locations as well.

In addition to the excellent lists above I would highly recommend Hastings which is home to Europes largest beach based fishing fleet, and is approximately 40 miles from your arrival airport of Gatwick.

1066online.co.uk/hastings-photos/FishingBoat…

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing boats

Hastings is great and the fishing sheds are still there too. Fish and Chips at Maggie's are the best in Britain - a lunchtime only cafe on top of the fish market.

If you fancied travelling north, Whitby harbour is rather good and has the Dracula connection too. Kippers from Mr Fortune in the food line.

Not trying to put you off - quite the opposite - but there is a lot of suitable photographs on the web already. I'm sure that yours will be better though.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing boats

How long is "a few days"? I know nothing about fishing boats apart from nearly ever seaside town has them. It will take about 5hours each way to travel to Cornwall. If you only have three days total, two of them will be spent traveling to spend just a few minutes taking photos. Cornwall wall is lovely but if all you want are boats, and you are short of time, choose somewhere closer to London eg Hastings as mentioned above.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing boats

THank you all so much for the helpful replies! We have 5 days in England, and would love a drive out to Cornwall, so I think we'll try to go. But I will probably try Hastings as well - it sounds fabulous! I'll have to look at some photos online.

To Davidblades, I would LOVE to use the photos online, which have been very inspiring to me, but it's illegal - since I can't use a photo someone else took without the permission of the photographer, which is often difficult to get. I have done one or two from photos online - with permission, but there are many art competitions that won't allow you to paint from other people's photos. I assure you - my photos will NOT be better than the beautiful ones I see online, but at least I'll be ethical!

Thanks again everyone!

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing boats

I've looked through photos of Hastings and the flickr ones of Cornwall - I think I'm in heaven! I'm landlocked, here in Indiana, so I rarely have the opportunity to see large boats, and although I've been to California a couple times, they are mostly new and shiny and character-less. Thanks for the links!

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing boats

Cornwall is very photogenic and is artists' heaven due to the wonderful light. Do you always paint from photos or can you paint in situ so you can absorb some of the magic at the same time?

Will you be travelling by car because if you are using public transport you will find it more difficult to get to some of the best places? You do say "drive out to Cornwall" but I am not sure who will be driving i.e. bus or hire car. Have a look at the photos, choose where you would like to go and post here again with more information. You might also look at the locations in Google maps to get an idea of distance and time to reach your destination.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,766 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing boats

There are so many places in Britain with lovely old harbours, weirs and traditional boats that you could find just about anywhere on the coast.

If you are painting from photos you could do a request for people willing to post their local or holiday photos. This has happened before when someone looses their photos for some reason. People are amazingly helpful.

In Somerset - Minehead, Porlock Weir, in Devon - Lynmouth, Ilfracombe are the best bets. If you are painting to sell in the US then Clovelly (you have to pay to enter) is very pretty and well known there.

In Cornwall I would say Mousehole. The places I mention also have good background of traditional houses, harbour and landscape as I'm guessing you don't just paint the boats but a scene. As a painter too these are the ones I would aim for.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,231 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing boats

<<< I would LOVE to use the photos online, which have been very inspiring to me, but it's illegal - since I can't use a photo someone else took without the permission of the photographer, which is often difficult to get. >>>

I have PM'd you.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fishing boats

We'll have our own car for getting around - but I don't plan to paint on site, mostly because I can't transport the materials - especially the terpentine (hazardous) and the easel (a bit big for the suitcase), I've even heard of people having trouble transporting the paints, they have to call them "artists colors" instead of "Oil paint". It's a good idea to go through photos and pick the places I want, and make a driving plan. I'll try to do that!

Kernewes - I didn't know Cornwall had nice light - I assumed it would be completely overcast a lot - I guess I just heard that England was rainy/cloudy very often. Is that not the case? It probably varies by time of year. We'll be there mid-June.

Thanks again, for all the help. You're all very inspiring!