We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for places to visit in Cornwall?

York, United Kingdom
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions for places to visit in Cornwall?

Hi Everyone,

Me and my girlfriend are staying in Penzance for a week in April, we are thinking of spending a day or two in the town itself, and one day in Newquay and one in St Ives. We are driving down and looking for places to drive out to in the local area, looking around 1 hours drive from penzance at a maximum. Also have Lands End planned one day.

Any input from residents or visitors to Cornwall would be appreciated as we want to make the most of it!

Thanks

Ollie

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for places to visit in Cornwall?

What sort of things are you interested in seeing? If you like walking then rather than drive to Lands End, leave your car at Sennen and walk along the coastal path, it isn't very far. Lands End has a theme park which in my opinion spoils the atmosphere but by walking from Sennen you see all the best bits and can avoid the tacky theme park.

Post back with information about what you like doing and I am sure there will be plenty of suggestions forthcoming.

York, United Kingdom
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for places to visit in Cornwall?

Hi Kernewes,

Thanks for your reply. As to what we like doing, we do want a few places to walk, I've heard the walk from Sennen to Lands End was nice but couldn't remember the name of the place to go so we will probably give that a go. We are thinking of going to Minack..? Theatre at some point. Looking for places of interest / beauty spots really where we can have a wander around. We have noted a few places to eat as well but any stand out restaurants wouldn't go amiss either!

Thanks

Ollie.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for places to visit in Cornwall?

Newquay itself is nothing special, although the coast and beaches around there are lovely. Drive up the coast road to Padstow, which is a fascinating little place. If you have time, go over to Falmouth and the Fal River area - fabulous. In fact, there are so many lovely places and scenery, especially coastal scenery, you will enjoy just about everywhere.

If you would be interested in exploring Cornwalls tin mining heritage, let us know and I will give you some suggestions.

York, United Kingdom
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for places to visit in Cornwall?

Hi Sandy,

Padstow may be a bit too far north I think but I will have a look into it, reason being we are driving down from York so don't want to be spending too long driving while in Cornwall but still want to see as many places as possible. Falmouth looks good! Probably skip the mining heritage but thatnks for the offer! Thanks for your help!

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for places to visit in Cornwall?

Porthcurno (home of the Minack) is a beautiful beach. Also home to the fascinating telegraph museum if that interests you. You can do a beautiful walk from Porthcurno to Land's End (you can get a bus back)

St Michael's Mount is a 10 min drive or an hour's walk from Penzance, also on a bus. (closed saturdays)

Do you like gardens? You have Trengwainton (national trust), Trewidden and Tremenheere all within 10 mins drive of Penzance (or walkable)

In contrast to Land's End, you might want to drive to Lizard village, and walk to the most southerly point - those in the know say it's what Land's End used to be like. For a slightly longer walk, head around the coast path to Kynance Cove - I think it's the most beautiful spot in Cornwall, at mid-low tide. Great café, too, then you can walk back to Lizard village across country.

Edited: 23 January 2014, 19:39
Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for places to visit in Cornwall?

St Michael's Mount is a must see as is the Minack. If you are going to St Ives and want to avoid driving, parking is a nightmare anyway, take the train. You will have to change at St Erth but the journey from there is one of the prettiest in the country. Or you could drive to Lelant Saltings and use the park and ride or walk along the coast. I wouldn't go to Newquay. The beach is spectacular but the town isn't. I think I've been there only 3 times and I live 10 miles away. St Agnes is pretty and more interesting. You could park at Chapel Porth (free to NT members) and walk the coastal path from there. There is a very nice cafe in the car park.

Harrogate
Level Contributor
219 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for places to visit in Cornwall?

The Minack is a great place to visit. I went to a very memorable Sir Gawaine and the Green Knight a few years back. Do remember however - because I didn't - that no matter how warm it might be during the day it can get very cold after sunset. Wooly jumpers coats and rugs are a good thing to have in the bag!

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for places to visit in Cornwall?

As are hot drinks and pasties! Cushions are quite useful too as the seats are very hard. Check the weather forecast before going as often the show will go on even if it is raining.

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for places to visit in Cornwall?

As you say you don't want to do too much driving once in Cornwall, I'll suggest you have a day out by train from Penzance to St Ives. You catch the train to St Erth then change onto the lovely St Ives branch line - sit on the right side of the coach for best views of the lovely coastal scenery. Plenty to see and do around St Ives to occupy you for a day and loads of good places to eat.

An alternative idea if the weather's nice - Drive to Lelant and park, then take the footpath across the golf course and out onto the coastal path to walk to Carbis Bay and on to St Ives. It's about 3.5 miles. You can easily catch a bus back to Lelant if the return walk seems a bit too much.

Edited: 24 January 2014, 21:55
York, United Kingdom
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for places to visit in Cornwall?

Thanks for all your replies guys, definitely got some places to start!