We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cycling in Cornwall

Alvor, Portugal
Level Contributor
63 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
cycling in Cornwall

My husband and I will have 4 nights at the end of a 3-wk trip to England in June, and we are considering a train trip from London to Cornwall. We won't be driving once we get there, so we'll be dependent on local buses to get around. However, I was wondering if there is a particular town that someone can recommend where it is common (and convenient) to rent bicycles in order to see the countryside. My husband can't walk, but he can get around fine on a bicycle. We have been to Penzance, St. Ives and Mousehole. We can return to one of these towns or visit somewhere new. We're open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
749 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cycling in Cornwall

Bodmin, Wadebridge and Padstow are all on what is called The Camel Trail which is the old railway line which has been converted for cyclists and pedestrians and is superb for cyclists.

The Bodmin- Wadebridge section is through a lot of woodland areas

The Wadebridge - Padstow section is along the Camel estuary and is a very popular place for bird watching and the scenery is great.

Being the old railway line it is about the flattest ride you can get in Cornwall!

Plenty of places to hire bikes for as long as you like.

You can even get tandems if you fancy it.

Just 'google' bike hire Camel Trail and you will find plenty.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cycling in Cornwall

There is a cycle trail from Portreath on the north coast to Devoran on the south, mainly on old mineral railway routes. It goes through some beautiful scenery, and also some strange but fascinating old mineral workings scenery. Google 'coast to coast' trail for more info

3. Re: cycling in Cornwall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 18:05
Alvor, Portugal
Level Contributor
63 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cycling in Cornwall

Thanks for your helpful answers. I'll look into your suggestions and may return with more questions!

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cycling in Cornwall

Having driven down the roads and lanes of Cornwall, I can only suggest you stick to designated cycle ways. Hopefully the trains will be something like back to normal by your holiday.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cycling in Cornwall

That's a little alarmist in my opinion. Many people cycle the lanes and roads of Cornwall. Whilst I wouldn't want to cycle the main 'A' roads, I would(and do) cycle and walk the minor roads, which in June won't be very busy anyway. The cycle paths whilst very good, do restrict where you can go, particularly as they don't join with each other.

Alvor, Portugal
Level Contributor
63 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cycling in Cornwall

I've just read a different post about the flooding and the trains. Now I'm concerned. Is there no train service from London now? Also, I didn't mean to imply that we are avid cyclists! We just like to have bicycles for my husband to get around more easily wherever we are visiting. In Bruge, for example, we stayed at a B&B that provided bicycles, and we used them for 10 days to explore the city and the surrounding area. I guess that's what I was hoping to do somewhere in Cornwall. Would this be possible to do in St. Ives? I looked at Bodmin and the area that was mentioned on the Camel Trail. It sounds like we need a car in that part of Cornwall. So this may not be an option for us.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cycling in Cornwall

There are trains, but to traverse the damaged section of track in Devon you have to go on a bus replacement service. This just makes the journey longer. Hopefully it will all be fixed by the time you travel.

Alvor, Portugal
Level Contributor
63 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cycling in Cornwall

Well, we've done that before -- in Germany. So that wouldn't be such a big deal. Thanks!

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cycling in Cornwall

Trains should all be back to normal in June.