We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enlishroses Trip Report Part 2.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Enlishroses Trip Report Part 2.

Day 4 . Got up early and spent the morning driving around touring the various beaches around Newquay while the carparks were still empty. Our particular favourites were Fistral, Crantock, Lusty Glaze, Porth, Mawgan Porth , Bedruthan Steps and Watergate Bay. Then it was on to Falmouth.

Falmouth has a very large harbour and docks and there were cruise ships and ferries coming in and out. We parked in a very smart looking development called Discovery Quay with flash shops , restaurants and waterside appartments being built -it gave the impression of being quite an upmarket resort with smart looking hotels, lovely gardens and palm trees. I would think this would be a very good place to spend a holiday and use as a base. We enjoyed the National Maritime museum very much and had lunch at a small restaurant on Discovery Quay. We visited the Castle and enjoyed some time on the lovely Gyllyngvase Beach.

Day 5 We had a very busy last day - First St Ives which was simply fabulous and then onto breathtaking Porthcurno to the Minack theatre. (see separate thread for detail) We returned to Newquay via the very attractive liitle villages of Mousehole and Newlyn and caught our flight home back to London in the evening.

We had such glorious weather and cant wait to go back to explore more of Cornwall next summer!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Enlishroses Trip Report Part 2.

The scenery must have been fantastic. Cornwall is on my list now (my list just keeps growing when I read such nice reports). On to the next report!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enlishroses Trip Report Part 2.

englishrose: I have visited St. Ives and thought it wonderful too. I wonder how much a cottage costs there -- yes, I know -- too much.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enlishroses Trip Report Part 2.

Don't you just love Cornwall? It was fun reading about your visit. Were there wildflowers in bloom? I love that part of Cornwall, it has such profuse wildflowers in May.

My husband would move to St Ives in a minute. We spent a week there in 2002 (or 2000?) in a very nice 1-BR house on Barnoon Terrace, on the top of the hill overlooking the harbor. As I recall it was right around 200 GBP. No washer and dryer, and we had to buy a one-week parking pass at the car park. Still a very good price though. There are hundreds of cottages there; we had several huge brochures just of St Ives that we picked from. When we were first there in '93 we stayed on that same street. It was lined with B&B signs, now there's not a one, it's mostly self-caterings.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enlishroses Trip Report Part 2.

I could easily spend a week in St Ives too Lee and Britfan. As for wild flowers no there were nt any left in July but I expect in the spring they are lovely.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enlishroses Trip Report Part 2.

Glad you had a good trip Rose.

See you packed St Ives and MInack into one day in the end but you clearly had just short trip.

Was home myself the weekend looking for houses so no time for play but good to see you had a nice trip yourself! Flying is def on the cards next time though - 8 hour journey back on Sunday! Someone flipped there car on the M3 so all 3 lanes were closed!

6. Re: Enlishroses Trip Report Part 2.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 22:16