We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best base for touring south Cornwall with a car

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best base for touring south Cornwall with a car

Can anyone advise on the best base for touring south Cornwall with a car. We will only have 2 days. We would like to stay somewhere pretty village with restaurants but preferably not too big. We would like to travel along the south coastline and see lands end during the 2 days

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
945 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best base for touring south Cornwall with a car

2 days isn't very long -are you also going to be traveling to and from somewhere during these two days? If so, I'm not sure it's worth your while driving down for what will effectively only be a few hours.

If you do have time, I think Porthleven might fit your bill. It's a pretty harbour village, some restaurants, not too far from Land's End (less than an hour's drive) and you can explore the Lizard peninsula from there.

Polperro, Fowey and Mevagissey would also meet some of your requirements but would be a long way from Land's End. You will see that Land's End has, Erm, "mixed" reviews on this forum, so do think carefully whether you want to plan a long trip around it.

Edited: 09 April 2014, 07:55
Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best base for touring south Cornwall with a car

I agree, Porthleven would be a good choice, and I agree with pretty much everything Jezzyka has said.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best base for touring south Cornwall with a car

Another possible is Mousehole, a small and very picturesque harbour village on the Lands End peninsular

4. Re: Best base for touring south Cornwall with a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Cornwall