We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Descendent of Henry & John Grubb from Stoke Climsland

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Descendent of Henry & John Grubb from Stoke Climsland

I am a descendent of Henry & John Grubb of Stoke Climsland (my paternal grandmother's maiden name was Grubb) and I'll be visiting in June, staying in Dartmoor. I understand they are buried with markers in a cemetery(ies) in Stoke Climsland and would like to pay my respects while visiting. My family dates to Stoke Climsland in the 1300's from my understanding. They were Quakers and I believe it was Henry who spent time in a prison for a charge related to practicing his religion, in a prison that is still standing to some degree. I would like to visit this location as well if I can receive help in locating it. Are there records or places to visit / research in regard to my family? Brenda

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Descendent of Henry & John Grubb from Stoke Climsland

Surely you need to access some on-line genealogical sites to find such information ?

UK
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Descendent of Henry & John Grubb from Stoke Climsland

I would agree that you should do some homework first by using a genealogy site - as this would probably give you a clearer idea of where to look, and what to look for, once you're actually here. Local History museums and libraries are often a good source of genealogical information, and if one of your ancestors was persecuted for his faith then there may well be information available either at a museum or at a library. But start off by doing some research remotely. (Ancestry.com/Ancestry.co.uk is a good starting point)

Norfolk
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Descendent of Henry & John Grubb from Stoke Climsland

County record office has an online search -

crocat.cornwall.gov.uk/DServe/DServe.exe…

Try contacting the parish council - there may be other descendants who have researched the family tree.

As Stoke Climsland is close to the county border, the prison you mention, may be in Devon?

st Ives
Level Contributor
138 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Descendent of Henry & John Grubb from Stoke Climsland

According to this interesting article in Wikipedia,

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…29

John Grubb is buried in Marcus Hook, Pennysylvania.

5. Re: Descendent of Henry & John Grubb from Stoke Climsland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 18:05
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Descendent of Henry & John Grubb from Stoke Climsland

I hope that whomever posted the information that was removed by trip advisor will repost without the information they felt was inappropriate. This person provided very helpful information and I wasn't able to respond or make note of it prior to this post being deleted.

I've done a lot of research on my family. I'm aware that John Grubb is buried in PA. I've visited all of my direct family ancestor's graves, homes, etc and has been a wonderful adventure. The original home of the Grubb's in Delaware near the PA / Delaware state line is still standing and it was wonderful to visit. That is why I'm looking forward to coming to Stoke Climsland.

Ah well. Such is life. Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. I appreciate it.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Descendent of Henry & John Grubb from Stoke Climsland

Great information! Thank you.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Descendent of Henry & John Grubb from Stoke Climsland

Thank you. He is my family ancestor and we have visited the family graves and homes that are still standing in this area.