We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Planning first holiday in Cornwall.

Coventry, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Help! Planning first holiday in Cornwall.

I have not been to Cornwall before and after hearing so many good things I have decided to visit. I plan to drive there in the last week of August with my Mother and three active children 14, 9 and 4yrs. We will be staying for a week in a lodge preferably located by a beach or countryside with a budget of 1k.

We would like to stay somewhere idyllic and relaxing and also be able to make the most of our holiday. I've been doing a bit of research online and hope to explore and experience as much as we can (1 hr drive max) surf boarding lessons, sea safaris, horse riding etc.

We would also like to be near to a good selection of shops and places to eat out as we will be going self catering.

I have no idea where to begin planning our holiday, so any suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated.

england
Level Contributor
5,709 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Planning first holiday in Cornwall.

You've left it a bit late, some places may already be fully booked for that week. Try the visit cornwall site - this one might be worth a look. visitcornwall.com/accommodation/….U2_y6fldUTo

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
729 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Planning first holiday in Cornwall.

St Ives area will have something for everyone. We just returned and the beaches around St Ives are wonderful.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Planning first holiday in Cornwall.

Note that a journey down from Coventry to Cornwall in August (particularly around a weekend) can be a very unpleasant journey.

The M5 can be crowded and slow moving, it can take an hour to get through Bristol (even on the motorway).

And because Cornwall gets narrower and narrower as you get into it all the cars tend to start to use the same roads, so they get packed.

I don't wish to put you off going to Cornwall, but bear in mind that the journey there and back can be rather long and tiring, particularly with young children.

Consider leaving early in the morning (3am - seriously) or be prepared for a 5 or 6 hour journey.

I know this is a few years old but read some of the comments here (or search on "Driving to Cornwall in August")

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php…

england
Level Contributor
5,709 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Planning first holiday in Cornwall.

my first trip to Cornwall as a child resulted in a lifelong love of the West Country. For that first trip we stayed in a caravan at Hayle, a very beautiful beach. Yes we got stuck in traffic jams at times but it's worth it. Hayle is not far from St Ives, plenty of shops there. The children would probably enjoy a trip to Flambards http://www.flambards.co.uk/

Looe, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
613 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Planning first holiday in Cornwall.

agree that you will be very lucky to find anything for august and within that budget might be tough if you want something with 3 bedrooms. all the lovely lodges by the sea get booked up months in advance. try looking at some of the last minute type websites to see who has space but don't hold your breath. I love se cornwall - the area around looe and polperro. it is a bit quieter than the north coast and down the a38 rather than on the a30 carpark. Look at places with a Friday changeover to help you avoid the traffic

6. Re: Help! Planning first holiday in Cornwall.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Cornwall