We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Cornwall - 2 families - in cottages

Blackpool, England
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Cornwall - 2 families - in cottages

Hi

I would really appreciate any advice on planning a trip to Cornwall next summer ( during kids summer holidays). Were a party of 2 families ( 2 adults & 2 kids in each ) plus a very fit & active grandma. Grandma lives in Mexico & is coming back to the UK in the middle of July 2007 for a month& we thought it would be nice for us all to spend a week together in Cornwall. Although we want to holiday together, we don't want to be on top of each other by staying in the same cottage, so ideally we would like 2 cottages next to each other.

We would prefer luxury accommodation , rather than basic

Does anyone know of anything that would be suitable?

We want to visit the Eden project and of course having children we will want to go to the beach (weather permitting!!)

We would also like to be in walking distance of pubs / restaurants.

I did hear of a place in Saltash where the cottages were around a golf course & there was a leisure club , but I don't know what it is called. Does anyone know of this place ? Is it any good? None of us play golf so this isn't a requirement at all.

Any advice on the best location to stay & best beaches / other things to do would be greatly appreciated..

Many thanks

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Cornwall - 2 families - in cottages

Cornish Cottage Holidays & Classic Cottages offer really good quality holiday accommodation they both have websites you can check out. I live in the Falmouth area and this is a great area for touring around Cornwall (check out my "inside pages" for Falmouth for more detailed information etc.BUT if you still want any extra info please just ask :) , The Eden Project is about 45 mins drive from Falmouth (30 miles ish!) be warned it does get very busy first thing and when wet (for obvious reasons!!!) Falmouth is a great for families and has great beaches for swimming and a fantastic coast line for walking. Hope this gets you started and if you want any other info just ask - Caz :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Cornwall - 2 families - in cottages

For properties with a twist google the Landmark Trust.

They are similar to National Trust and have restored many historic type buildings and cottages.

They have several in Cornwall.

Falmouth would be a great base as Caz has mentioned. Plenty to see and do in and around the town.

Further down is St Ives and Penzance which would cover most bases aswell interms of accomodation and activities.

I love St Ives but if you're talking about a week it can get a bit 'hectic' down there during peak season and heavy in visitor voluems.

With that in mind I think Falmouth and the surrounds will give a good balance of busyness but with a bit of space available too.

Have a great trip.

Blackpool, England
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Cornwall - 2 families - in cottages

Thanks to you both for your helpful advice. I have ordered paper brochures from the sites you recommended. I could spend from now until next July going through it all as there's so much choice.

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Cornwall - 2 families - in cottages

Hi Tinkerbellingham, You've started on the right path :)

If /When you narrow it down to a few areas / properties and want any further advise just let us know and hopefully we can give you help you a bit more.

Happy reading Caz :)

hsj
London, United...
Level Contributor
476 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Cornwall - 2 families - in cottages

I'd also recommend 'Helpful Holidays' - especially if you go for 4star plus accomodation. And the staff live up to their name - VERY helpful if you want to talk to a friendly human at the end of a phone - but the website is great as well - with useful search facilities ie distance from beach or pub.......

Herefordshire...
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Cornwall - 2 families - in cottages

Hi there!

Have you tried the Headland Cottages? They're next to the Headland Hotel in Newquay, overlooking Fistral Beach. They have been graded 5 star and are available with one, two or three bedrooms. If you book online you can pick your cottage from an interactive plan, so therefore you could pick two next to each other. As they are next to the hotel, you can also make use of all the hotels facilities; pools, restaurants etc.

The website for the hotel is www.headlandhotel.co.uk and there is a link from there to the site for the cottages.

Alternatively, I have also stayed in cottages provided by Niche Retreats in the past, these are also of a very high quality, mostly located in Porthleven. Their website is www.nicheretreats.co.uk.

Hope you find somewhere you like...

Essex
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Cornwall - 2 families - in cottages

Falmouth would be perfect for you. Lovely beaches, golf courses and plenty of nice bed and breakfast and hotels. However, DO NOT BOOK INTO BOSANNETH HOTEL in GYLLNGVASE HILL, as the husband of the team is very rude, miserable and generally bad mannered. Otherwise, Falmouth is great!

Creston, BC, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Cornwall - 2 families - in cottages

My suggestion would be Court Farm just outside of St Austel. A wonderful location on a Farm in the country and great access to the Highway. Very peaceful.

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Cornwall - 2 families - in cottages

How about:

www.the-valley.co.uk

Devonport, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Cornwall - 2 families - in cottages

Hi there, you could also look at pennasville.co.uk these are very close to the beach (almost on it) at Holywell Bay, near Newquay. Headland Cottages are sheer luxury but very expensive. Saltash is ok - the golf course & leisure club you have mentioned may be called St Mellion but it is on the border of Devon/Cornwall and you may feel too far away for some of the Cornish beaches and attractions.

Get answers to your questions about Cornwall