We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation advice London- The Lizard

Denmark
Level Contributor
480 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation advice London- The Lizard

Hello

I would like to ask if anybody could tell me which is the best way to travel from London to The Lizard with public transportation.

Withe "the best" I mean fastest and/or easiest...

Thank you once again!

Best regards

Oscar :-)

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation advice London- The Lizard

Hi

You can either fly from Stansted to Newquay, **OR**, catch the train from Paddington to Truro. ( But both of these would involve various bus/train travel down to helston and then you would be reliant on bus or taxi to the lizard.) The Lizard is not the easiest of places to get to without a car :-)

Buses to contact would be this website- they go to the Lizard, www.truronian.co.uk/index.cfm?Articleid=218

Hope this is of help, Caz :)

Denmark
Level Contributor
480 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation advice London- The Lizard

Hi Caz'n'kel!

Thanks for your reply...

I was hoping for a miracle but it didn´t happened. You are right: it is difficult to get there.

Maybe it should be called World´s End :-)

Thanks again!

Oscar

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation advice London- The Lizard

Hi Oscar,

The National Trust gives the options:

nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-fi…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation advice London- The Lizard

Truronian is the company that seems ot have most of the routes.

www.truronian.co.uk/index.cfm?ArticleID=185

As per KES's link there are only a couple that might work for you.

Check the dates and time well. I could not get the links to work but I am not on my normal PC but I would be suprised to see buses running on Sundays.

Other possibility is to google for some day trips from certain main towns such as Truro, Penzance or Helston.

Truronian have some

www.truronian.co.uk/index.cfm?ArticleID=387

But am sure there are other companies though.

Depends also if you're doing this as a day trip from London or as part of a Cornwall based trip.

Denmark
Level Contributor
480 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation advice London- The Lizard

Hi cornish_pastie!

Thanks for your answer...

Somewhere else in this forum I described the trip I´m planning in Easter to Cornwall. I have to leave out The Lizard so I thought I could make a week end trip there and visit Padstow too!

Now I see that this is a bit too ambitious especially considering that I want to do it in february and chances that there is daytrip to the Lizard in februry may be considered minimal :-)

Once again, thanks for your help!

Best regards

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation advice London- The Lizard

Yes , you would be rather pushed for time unfortunately. We regularly visit both places and are lovely for completely different reasons. I do feel that The Lizard in February (clear weather permitting) is the best place to choose as it's quiet here then and you really get a sense of space and freedom with some lovely coastal walks, ideal for blowing away any cobwebs :) !!!

Padstow is great for the Cycling on the Camel Trail (you can hire bikes) the estuary scenery is lovely and it's a great way to keep fit and have fun at the same time! Maybe when you "pop" over to Cornwall again you can explore this part of the county - you won't be disappointed :)

Denmark
Level Contributor
480 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation advice London- The Lizard

Hello again. Caz'n'kel!

So many places, so little time.

I keep saying this every time I take a look at my Cornwall map

I dont think I could even properly visit both Padstow and Tintagel in one week end in spite that it only takes 2 hours by bus to drive from one to another... :-( The big problem is that it takes ages to return to Stansted on time.

I ´ll better think very carefully about this trip. Many thanks for your advice!!!

My only consolation is that at least I´ll visit Cornwall in Easter (and thats for sure :-)

Best regards

Oscar

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,131 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation advice London- The Lizard

Oscar I flew from London Gatwick to Newquay this year - it only took 50 minutes and we did nt have to check in till half an hour beforehand.

Denmark
Level Contributor
480 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation advice London- The Lizard

Hi englishrose!

Thanks again for your reply...

There is one problem if I want to fly to Newquay (because I did considered to fly to Cornwall in first place). I would arrive from Denmark to Stansted about 11:00 o´clock and I would have to wait there until 20:00!

A real pitty...

Once again, thank you!

Best regards

10. Re: Transportation advice London- The Lizard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 16:15