We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking Mum to Cornwall

London
Level Contributor
478 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Taking Mum to Cornwall

Hello

My mum is coming to England from NZ and I want to show her Cornwall. It will be my first time exploring too infact.

We will come in early April...Is this when accomodation is becoming expensive? How much would a twin room cost in a nice but cheapish place. I must be careful with money as they are coming with the lowly NZ dollar so I think prices will seem a lot for them to comprehend.....

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Also, how many nights do you suggest for Cornwall? 2 or 3?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking Mum to Cornwall

2 or 3 wont really be long enough to get much of a feel for Cornwall, especially as its all so spread out, you'd visit 2 or 3 *places* rather than Cornwall. Also I would suggest May or even June, for better weather since a lot of what you'll be doing is outdoors so weather is important.

Obviously no guarantees but June is likely to be better than April.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking Mum to Cornwall

Hi

I travel to Cornwall at least once a month and regularly stay in various good B & B's for £30-£40 per night. Price-wise, Cornwall gets dear for Easter weekend, then goes quiet again until what was the old Whitsun holiday after which prices rise steadily the more into the summer you go until it peaks in August when all the kids are away from school.

I regularly stay in Polperro at either the Mill House pub or Chyavallon B & B. Both are very comfortable, with en-suite and both have parking which is at a premium in Polperro. Of course, there are places all over the Duchy where you can pick up darn good value B & B's. I recall once staying at "Schooner Point" B & B in Looe, again, very comfortable and not expensive. It really depends where you want to go for sightseeing as Cornwall is a long county, that will determine an approx area to look for accommodation.

If Polperro sounds OK, check out www.polperro.org for lots of accommodations in the village.

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking Mum to Cornwall

Hi, i live in Falmouth in Cornwall and feel that this would be a good base for you. You don't mention how you will be getting to Cornwall ideally you will be driving down as public transport system is not that frequent especially in the more "pretty rural areas". If you are travelling by rail then Falmouth would be ideal as it has a local train connection to Truro which has the main line to London. Please visit Falmouth inside pages where i have listed plenty of things to do and visit and eat in etc., If you still have any further questions then please ask away. Falmouth is basically a small Harbour/Seaside Town very pretty opening onto the Fal Estuary and Helford River. A short hop across the Estuary via the passenger ferry is St.Mawes and it's castle again this makes a lovely trip out. With regard to accommodation Falmouth is full of accommodation to suit all budgets from cheap B&B's to 4 * hotel - see local tourist information office :Falmouth for a list of places to choose from.

April can be a very nice month....but you would be best to avoid 31/3/07 - 15/4/07 as this is the local school holidays so it will be busy and more expensive for accommodation i should well imagine. Hope this helps and let me know if you need any other info - and don't forget to check out the Inside Pages for Falmouth. Caz : )

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking Mum to Cornwall

I would suggest 5 nights CC. Falmouth is an excellent base to tour around in my opinion although I have stayed in a very reasonable little 3 star hotel called Hotel California just outside Newquay which was again very central for the highlights of Cornwall. If you have a car you can get to most places in about an hour from there.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking Mum to Cornwall

My favourite places would be st Ives, which combines seaside, fishing village and the art thing, or tintagel with its history , which is also close to boscastle, a lovely village (havent been since the famous flood though).

we travelled by hitch hiking. out of season there are no buses (this is before easter, so you should be ok after the bank hols if you need to use)

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking Mum to Cornwall

How about Crantock, which is well situated on the North Coast. It is fairly central so all parts of Cornwall are accessable. About half hour drive from the Eden project and also Lost gardens of Helligan etc. We run a guest house there - Tregenna House. A twin room, ensuite and including breakfast in April would cost £60, You can see all other details on out web site. www.tregennahouse.co.uk.

London
Level Contributor
478 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking Mum to Cornwall

Thanks! Yes I know June is probably better but my Mum can only come over in March-April (the tickets are also booked). I prefer 5 nights too, but i dont have that much holiday time in my job and we are already doing a 7 day tour stoping in Bath, Devon on the way so 3 nights in Cornwall is all we can afford time (and cost probably)

Im going to check out ll these places...Someone at my work recommended Helston/Mullion? Is this a nice place?

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking Mum to Cornwall

Hi, well i don't want to upset these folk ha ha!! BUT Helston as a holiday uh.....it's a Naval town and nothing special at all (it's not even on the sea!) Mullion IS near the sea but very remote to get too - were talking long windy narrow country roads to get to it and not an ideal touring base at all if your only in Cornwall for a couple of days - admitedly you have The Lizard nearby and Kynance Cove which offer stunning cosatlines to "sight see" close by - BUT if the weather is grim and misty you won't see a thing and then you will then have to travel miles to see life!!!!

Sorry to sound so negative about this but i do really feel this would be a BIG mistake - see what other TA's feel :)

Any other questions please ask away - Caz

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking Mum to Cornwall

All suggestions seem good to me. St Ives is a very beautiful place, and just off the main railway line. If you use public transport you can get a train on mainline to Penzance & stay there. We stayed at a small, but well run BB called Carlson House which is 2 mins walk from Penzance rail station. Cannot find webiste at momemtn but tel no is: 01736 365589 - was run by a young couple, called Andrea & Rob. Small/basic but very clean & good location.

From here you can visit: St Michaels Mount - 3 miles from the town centre. Well worth a visit. www.stmichaelsmount.co.uk. This part of National Trust so www.nationaltrust.org.uk has info on many other places in the area. Advise to check opening tems of any these palces as sme not pen until Easter or later.

From Penzance you can easily get to the lovely town of St Ives. All mainline trains on London - Penzance route call at St Erth. Which is only 10mins or so out of Penzance. From here a local line connects to St Ives. It is a superb rail trip along coast & takes only 15mins or so. You can therefore cram a lot into just 1 or 2 days, with a a day or 2 to spare.

Rail info can be found at www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk. Gives destination onfo also. You must register to obtain all fare info. Bookings can normally start from approx 3 mnths before dept so a little early yet. If you do book early you can get "firstminute fares" which start from £14 pp each way. Spaces are limited, so bok qucckly and you must specifiy train dates/times & stick by them.

Journey time to London Paddington - Penzance is 5 hours or so (sometimes a bit longer with a few direct services or changes at Plymouth).

Please note Easter weekend is: Friday 6th - Monday 9th April when rail fares & hotels will require as much advance booking as possible.

If you have problem with railfares etc then let me know & I can guide throught eh process to get the best value. If you book too late you may have to pay a less restrictive fare of £70 pp plus return fare.

If you want to see a lot in your breif visit would suggest a visit to Falmouth also. You can get train on main route back through Truro & change to branch line to Falmouth. Worth a visit....if you have time.

Hope this helps.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking Mum to Cornwall

Accommodation I mentioned is called Carnson House www.carnson-house.co.uk. Cost from £26 pp per night single rooms.

Get answers to your questions about Cornwall