We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire from London or sleeper train and car hire??

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire from London or sleeper train and car hire??

I'm trying to plan a 4/5 day break in Cornwall with my partner who is Australian and has never been to Cornwall. It's for my birthday so I would like it to be a 'special' break (Yes I know, HE should be planning this!!)

Our dilemma is do we hire a car in London and drive and stop as we go along or is it best to get the sleeper train to Penzance and hire a car from there? (if we choose this option then we would drive out of Penzance straight away as we would leave this till our last day on the Saturday before returning by train on Sunday).

Unfortunately 4/5 days isn't a lot to 'see' Cornwall so I'd really appreciate it if anyone could give me any tips of the highlights of Cornwall. I'd like to stay at least one night in St Ives, Padstow and we'd have to stay the last night in Penzance should we hire the car from Penzance. Which other towns are recommended in between St Ives and Padstow way?

I'd really appreciate any advice on this, thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Penzance
Penzance
Cornwall, UK
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Padstow
Padstow
Cornwall, UK
Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
920 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire from London or sleeper train and car hire??

Hi, Yes i do "Treats" like that for me and my fella!!!!! :)

You could consider getting off at Truro (which is pretty central to the places you want to go ie; in the middle of Cornwall) - and if you didn't want to stay there you can hire a car - and drive out to Falmouth (or even catch the local branch line to Falmouth and hire a car from there, as you can get deals where you can pick up a car at one destination and deliver back to another).

Your itinary could be something like this :- 1) Falmouth -

2) Penzance - 3) St.Ives - 4) Padstow and back to Truro.

1) Falmouth is a beautiful small town situated on the River Fal (see my inside pages for what falmouth has to offer you) - then the next day you could make your way down to 2) Penzance via Helston to take in Porthleven (a really quaint fishing village with lovely pasty shop!) and onto Marazion (to see St.Michaels Mount and beach nice walk!) then Penzance 3) Penzance/Minac Theatre at Porthcurno (famous place built into cliff face - visit there website search google!) and onto St.Ives 4) Travel up to Padstow (mileage 45 miles about hr and a half drive) do the Camel Trail (hire bike or walk along the Camel estuary lovely views) then your not so far to go back to Truro to catch the train back.

Hope some of this helps any other questions just ask :) caz

Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cornwall, UK
Penzance
Penzance
Cornwall, UK
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Padstow
Padstow
Cornwall, UK
Helston
Helston
Cornwall, UK
Marazion
Marazion
Cornwall, UK
Porthcurno
Porthcurno
Cornwall, UK
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire from London or sleeper train and car hire??

Hi

I don't know exactly how much a return sleeper fare for two to Penzance would be, but I bet it's a fortune, so why not collect a car in London and make the drive to Penzance?

It's pretty easy really and all on good roads - leave London on the A30, follow southwest to Basingstoke where you pick up the A303, follow the A303 all the way to around 7 miles east of Honiton where it becomes the A30, then keep on the A30 literally all the way to Penzance.

You can do the trip comfortably (traffic permitting) in 5 hours tops.

Best sights in and around the Penzance area - St Michaels Mount, the Minack Theatre at Porthcurno, skip Lands End and see Cape Cornwall instead, far more atmospheric and totally un-touristy. Drive the B3306 from St Just to St Ives, amazing views and lots of history, old tin mine engine houses, granite cottages, scrub covered hillsides, standing stones, old Weslyan chapels and so much more. Also consider the Lizard peninsula to see Cadgwith (totally beautiful), and Mullion, the Roseland peninsula (St Just-in-Roseland church set on the edge of a tidal creek) and Falmouth (National Maritime Museum) and Truro (cathedral, museum, etc).

Mentioned in this post
Penzance
Penzance
Cornwall, UK
Porthcurno
Porthcurno
Cornwall, UK
St Just
St Just
Cornwall, UK
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
The Lizard
The Lizard
Cornwall, UK
Cadgwith
Cadgwith
Cornwall, UK
Mullion
Mullion
Cornwall, UK
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cornwall, UK
Wokingham, England
Level Contributor
1 post
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire from London or sleeper train and car hire??

It would more relaxing to train and hire but have you considered flying to Newquay and car hire? We did that for a special birthday a couple of years ago and it was a very relaxed way to go. We travel every year to Cornwall from Berkshire and I would say that although it is an easy journey it is a long drag especially for just a few days. Depending on when you are travelling the hold-ups on the route can be horrendous too.

A very special place to stay is the Seafood Restaurant in Padstow, Rick Stein's place. He also has another hotel/guest house and restaurants in the village which are well worth a visit too. If you have a car do drive over to the Lizard Peninsula and visit Cadgwith a working fishing village which is beautiful, genuine and unspoilt. Walk part of the coastal path too to see Cornwall at its most beautiful. Enjoy Cornwall it is a fantastic place

Mentioned in this post
Newquay
Newquay
Cornwall, UK
Berkshire
Berkshire
England, UK
Padstow
Padstow
Cornwall, UK
Cadgwith
Cadgwith
Cornwall, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire from London or sleeper train and car hire??

Thanks for all your advice. I guess we have to weigh up the costs of hiring car and petrol from London, sleeper and hire car or fly and hire car! I was quite looking forward to the train journey out of Cornwall (as it would be dark on outward journey!) for it's great views. But i guess we'd get that travelling by car anyway.

I will now try to put all your suggestions into an itinery depending on how we decide to travel. Definitely up for the Camel Trail bike ride! Although, do we have to ride the bike back to where we hired it or is there another drop off point at the other end?

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
920 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire from London or sleeper train and car hire??

No - you can hire the bike at Padstow & drop at Wadebridge or vice versa. But remember you then have to get back to your original destination to get your car..!! .It's not that long a ride with no hills it's about 6 miles one way, but you don't feel like you've cycled 12 miles when you get back HONEST !!!! :) it's about £7.00 to hire a bike. :) Caz

Mentioned in this post
Padstow
Padstow
Cornwall, UK
Wadebridge
Wadebridge
Cornwall, UK
Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire from London or sleeper train and car hire??

>>> don't know exactly how much a return sleeper fare for two to Penzance would be, but I bet it's a fortune, <<<

You'd be wrong. I did it last year (solo) and it cost £100. That wasn't booked particularly far in advance, so you could probably shave a couple more tenners off it - the sleeper is just an add-on to whatever ticket you already have.

When you realise it saves you a night's hotel accomodation, I think it's very good value.

If you are travelling as a pair, you can get adjacent cabins with an interconnecting door.

Mentioned in this post
Penzance
Penzance
Cornwall, UK
Newlyn, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire from London or sleeper train and car hire??

The sleeper is a great service I use it regularly, if you do go to penzance it gets in at 8-30am and there is a car hire place opposite the station.

happy cornish break

http://s6.invisionfree.com/Penwith_chat/

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire from London or sleeper train and car hire??

That was exactly my point - how many days car hire can you get for £100 or so? - a few I'd wager. Personally, I think that £100 for around a 5 hour train journey is pretty expensive compared to other European countries. It's up to the individual I guess.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire from London or sleeper train and car hire??

ARe you being deliberately obtuse, or just missing that £100 gets you a night's accomodation as well?

Even in your own car, London to Paddington and back will cost about £120, with £60-odd in petrol alone.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire from London or sleeper train and car hire??

The real downside to the sleeper is having to wait to board it in Penzance on the way back.

Mentioned in this post
Penzance
Penzance
Cornwall, UK