We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best mode of transportation to Falmouth from Bath

Which Falmouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
best mode of transportation to Falmouth from Bath

We are in England for a week July 5 - 12. After 2 nights in London we are planning on taking the train to Bath on Sunday and spending one night there. We would also like to see Wells while in that area. I see that it is only about 18 miles from Bath but is it advisable to see both Bath and Wells in one day? IS there a train from Wells to Falmouth?

From what I have read Falmouth seems to be the best area to base ourselves to explore Cornwall. What is the most efficient, enjoyable way to get there, train or rental car? Would it be better to take the train to Truro and hire a car or switch trains and continue on to Falmouth. I want to make the most of our time and I know July is a busy time of year.

Once in Falmouth I'm looking at taking the train to St. Ives and a trip up the Fal river to Truro and then exploring that area for the day. Is public transport readily available to Port Isaac and Padstow from Truro?

Would taking the train back to London be advisable and is there a fast train? I've looked at different train schedules but I'm not sure about what I'm reading...this is all new to me being that I'm used to driving my car everywhere!

Any other recommendations would be most appreciated!

Thanks.

Kingston upon...
Level Contributor
94 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best mode of transportation to Falmouth from Bath

There is a wealth of things too see in Bath; and plenty in Wells. I would not try to do both in one day. Sadly, Wells has had no railway for many years - but there is a bus from Bath (hourly on weekdays) that gets there in about an hour and a quarter.

Currently there is only one through train each weekday from Bath to Truro (0857 from Bath, arr. 12.33) - and Falmouth is on a branch from Truro with just a local shuttle every half hour. Nonethless I would personally think that the train would be much more enjoyable and relaxing that driving on unfamiliar and busy holiday roads.

You would also face a steep extra charge if you do not return the rental car to Bath.

It is possible to get from Truro to Padstow and Port Isaac by public transport - but the journeys are far from straightforward, and I would recommend hiring a car for these trips (You presumably know that you cannot drive into the centre of St. Ives, so use the train for that).

Truro back to London by train is simple - several through trains a day taking a bit under five hours for a journey of about 250 miles.

Once your plans are settled do buy your train tickets in advance on-line, as this gives a large or very large discount over the walk-on fare

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,538 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best mode of transportation to Falmouth from Bath

Far easier to hire a car than rely on public transport given the places you want to see. For example Truro to Port Isaac is going to take you two hours each way on the not very frequent bus, with a change in Wadebridge.

You can get from Truro to London in about four and a half hours on the train.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best mode of transportation to Falmouth from Bath

Hello! It's really not practical to do Padstow or Port Isaac by public transport from Falmouth. However you will find there is more than enough to explore in the Falmouth area, places you can get to by public transport, to keep you occupied for several days. Boat trip to Truro; boat to St Mawes with its perfect little castle then walk along the river to the amazing churchyard at St Just; Falmouth itself with Pendennis Castle and the Maritime Museum; bus to the lovely little harbour town of Porthleven, train to St Ives; bus to fantastic Glendurgan and Trebah Gardens; boat to Helford Passage. And plenty more! And of course if you like walking you could spend days on the coastal footpath.

atlanta
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best mode of transportation to Falmouth from Bath

Great information! I did not know you couldn't drive into St. Ives, so thanks for that. In spite of having the map up on my screen I was thinking that Truro was much closer to St. Isaac... I think because I hear it referred to on Doc. Martin so often! I really wanted to see that area but I don't think we can squeeze it and Wells in and if one has to go it has to be P.I. as Wells is part of my ancestry and I must see it. Thank you again.

atlanta
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best mode of transportation to Falmouth from Bath

Thank you. From what I have read Falmouth does seem to offer everything.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,538 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best mode of transportation to Falmouth from Bath

Don't rely on Doc Martin for geography!

atlanta
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best mode of transportation to Falmouth from Bath

Can I rely on it for wardrobe? What will July be like? I read that it is the least rainy month.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,538 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best mode of transportation to Falmouth from Bath

It probably won't snow. Apart from that, who can tell? I would pack layers and a waterproof jacket. You never know, we could be lucky and have a heat wave, but it could be cool and damp.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best mode of transportation to Falmouth from Bath

Hello! Cornish weather in July? Could be anything except (probably) snow and ice. Be prepared for everything from high winds and driving rain to days in the high 70's or low 80's.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best mode of transportation to Falmouth from Bath

blimey i thought we were adventurous lol

see our trip report for last weekend lol

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186217-i16-k655…

you need a whole day in Bath really.

trains from Bath direct to Falmouth with a change at Truro are possible and there is plenty to see and do there.

a day out to St Ives by train from Falmouth is do-able. so is Penzance.

Padstow is harder to reach from there but is worth a visit or nights stay. very very busy in July and a car is

unwise to take there imho.

buses direct from Bodmin station or Newquay on western greyhound buses.

Rock and Port Isaac is across the Camel estuary from there and has only a few buses a day from Wadebridge.

plenty of fast trains back to London from Cornwall 4-5 hours during the day and you can also gain extra holiday time by using the sleeper train overnight back to London.

firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Your-journey/Night-R…

if you really want to take a car then rent it for pick up on arrival at Truro or Bodmin station with enterprise rent a car and they will meet you off the train....you can return to any of their other branches. (with a fee)

Edited: 04 June 2013, 15:14
Get answers to your questions about Falmouth