We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on a couple of days in Looe

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on a couple of days in Looe

Hi, I'm visiting Looe later this year with my family - inc. kids of 14 and 12., as part of a tour of Devon/Cornwall. I'm looking for tips on recommended restaurants/places to eat of an evening (happy to consider any in Polperro, Downderry, etc. if it's worth the car journey); decent pubs that wouldn't mind the (well-behaved) kids; anywhere that might be showing the Rugby League on Sky on a Monday evening (!); and anything worth sight-seeing doing during the days. All help gratefully received! John L

Essex
Level Contributor
27,984 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on a couple of days in Looe

Looe pier 'Banjo Pier' is fab to pass the time simply with the kids 'crabbing'. Just buy a couple of hand lines and a cheap dead fish or some meat/sausages/reduced price that you can cut up to go on the hooks. You also might need a bucket or watertight box of some kind. Hang the lines over the sides of the pier and see how many crabs you can catch - endlessley fascinating for all ages IME (at all ages!)

The Eden Project is not too far away, if that appeals.

The countryside, coast and local beaches are lovely.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,984 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on a couple of days in Looe

http://www.looe.org/

http://www.visit-southeastcornwall.co.uk/

http://www.looedirectory.co.uk/

Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on a couple of days in Looe

Hi there,my family and I always stay in a caravan park just outside of Looe when we visit Cornwall and some of the pubs/restaurants we've been to with our kids are:

The Admiral Boscarn pub,Churchend,East Looe,great location overlooking beach and TV screens for sports etc.,

The Ship Inn,East Looe,

The Swan Pub ,East Looe.

The Harbour Moon Pub,West Looe.

We eaten at all of the above and found food in all, very good.

Also visited The Old Sail Loft restaurant right on the quay,as is Trawlers Restaurant,both great (if not abit pricey) for fresh seafood and Smuggler Cott which has a huge menu and does a fab carvery every lunch time and weekends.

Two lovely pubs with restuarants in Polperro we've visited and eaten at are:

The Blue Peter,right by the quay and well known for live music.

The Crumplehorn Inn,located at start of Polperro in really old building with water mill outside.Gets very busy,but have always enjoyed food in their.Enjoyed my boxing day birthday in there a few yrs ago when we spent Xmas in Looe.Had a great evening.

Bodmin Moor isn't too far away and we stopped for lunch at Jamaica Inn for lunch which is very touristy,but has a massive garden and very scenic.We also visited Bodmin Jail which my kids enjoyed.Found it very interesting,but obvs not everyone's cup of tea.Went on a boat trip from the quay at Looe and

drove around alot of Cornwall in our car seeing the wonderful sights.Have a great trip........

Edited: 29 February 2012, 23:46
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on a couple of days in Looe

Hi there

Another vote for the Blue Peter in Polperro, consistently up there with the best anywhere in Cornwall. We ate there three times when down there from 24th-29th Feb this year and the food was stunning, all freshly cooked, and usually all locally sourced ingredients, but not expensive. Great atmosphere, but with kids, you will have to go upstairs to the family room.

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on a couple of days in Looe

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - really helpful! Does anyone know anything of "The Blue Plate" in Downderry?

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on a couple of days in Looe

I've not been there, but i know of it. It gets excellent reviews and is on my list if i'm up that way. I would certainly give it a try if staying in the area.

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on a couple of days in Looe

All - many thanks for the advice. Looking forward to trying some of your recommendations later in the year! John L

8. Re: Advice on a couple of days in Looe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Looe
Recent Conversations