We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

welcome in looe

grimsby
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
welcome in looe

Twenty years since i last visited looe and i think it has gone down hill its looking very jadded now and cheap nasty amusment arcades dont do anything for it .The locals are indifferent to the tourists and my wife and i where swore at and told we where not required and to clear of by two diffent people in two days over genuine mistakes, kids hanging around the car park at night playing football etc etc . This did not happen anywhere else in cornwall so i can only assume it is a problem looe has, needless to say although we will be going back to cornwall i will be giving looe a wide berth shame really it used to be such a nice little place

England
Level Contributor
4,587 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: welcome in looe

It's always sad when you revisit a place from from your past and it isn't the same.

Happened to me lots of times.

Once went with the current Mrs Trickster to Kinsale, County Cork. Said lets have a look at the hotel where me and one of the earlier Mrs Tricksters spent our honeymoon. That didn't go down very well, but when we got there, we found the hotel had been demolished. Quite apt really

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,560 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: welcome in looe

where else are the local young people to go? Playing football in what would be an almost empty car park doesn't sound too terrible to me. And sorry, but those must have been pretty annoying mistakes if they made two different people so angry they swore at you. Not that I am condoning swearing at all, but come on.....Did you expect us all to doff our caps and curtsey?

England
Level Contributor
4,587 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: welcome in looe

Yes anna...we expect people to throw their cloaks (you do still wear them down there don't you?) onto puddles so we don't get our boots muddy when we get out of our Sedan Chairs

Thank You

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: welcome in looe

I'm sure Looe will miss you terribly.

Would you care to elaborate on the incidents as it sounds very unusual for people to behave like that to tourists, who after all are vital to many peoples economy here in Cornwall.

grimsby
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: welcome in looe

annabelle, the last line of your reply sort of sums up the problem, i certainly dont want anyone to doff their caps or curtsey just plain good manners would surfice.so for you and Badcatt who seem to think i may have an issue, the first incedent involved a lout chasing us down a field to get the fee for parking ( which is another issue ) and when we explained that we did not see the small handpainted sign was told to open our bloody eyes then and when i remonstartated with him was then told to **** off and dont come back.The second involved someone who was just looking for a issue to kick off about and accused my daughter of doing some thing and again when we chose to challenge him set of a torrent of foul talk in front of his ( i assume) two little girls that even had two local couples seek us out further down the road and say sorry and that it was out of order ....oh and the car park was quite full and they where not really playing football more hanging about and kicking a ball all over the place , also looe will miss us terribly or rather it will miss our money ( the tourists) if the locals keep performing like this.

thanks for the reply at least it shows some people are concerned about falling standards

6. Re: welcome in looe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 11:41
Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: welcome in looe

The problem is that Cornwall is too dependent on tourism which may be benefical for business owners, isn't that great for locals because of the nature of most of the seasonal low paid work attached to tourism. Also it grates that the Rupperts and Arabellas from the South East have priced out locals by buying up holiday homes and holiday lets.

Cornwall is a beautiful county, and we have had many fantastic holidays down there, but people should realise tat it is one of the most deprived areas of the country

8. Re: welcome in looe

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Edited: 05 August 2014, 11:41
9. Re: welcome in looe

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,560 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: welcome in looe

If it isn't a deprived area then why did it attract European funding? I think we have to get away from the image of Cornwall as some sort of Disneyland. It is certainly very beautiful and a wonderful place to live and come on holiday, but there is crime exactly the same as anywhere else in the UK.

People are people, you get good and bad everywhere. But one thing about Cornwall is the contrast. The poor are indeed very poor, most jobs in the tourist industry are seasonal and low paid.

Get answers to your questions about Looe
Recent Conversations