We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in Newquay

Manchester
2 posts
Save Topic
Camping in Newquay

Hi, me and my fiance are hoping to go to Newquay this year but we want to be able to go on as little money as possible.

We would like to stay in a tent on a beach if possible where there is surfing (hippie commune) etc. If there are any bars/pubs nearby it would be a bonus but not essential.

Does anyone know of any places to stay that would suite our needs?

We have both searched on the internet for places to stay but everything we have found has been mainly for families and caravans.

Look forward to hearing from anyone who has any stories or help.

Hayley and Bryn.

Newquay Activity Centre
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Water Sports
Quiksilver Surf School Newquay
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Water Sports
Bodyboard-Holidays
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Fistral Beach Surf School
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in Newquay

I don't think you'll find anywhere that will let you stay 'on' the beach but you can get pretty close.

One question that will make a difference is 'how are you travelling?'

Also when do you want to go?

If you have your own wheels it will make things a little bit easier.

If you're able to go when school is not out the I'd suggest Tristam Cliffs in Polzeath. It's a cliff top site with good facilities. Few van pitches but seems to mainly camping.

Not in the least bit commune like but is 200 yards to the beach and there's the Oyster Catcher, Doom Bar and Waterfront for food and drink.

Not many 'surfers' are hippies these days it seems. Plenty have 4x4s, Audis, BMWs etc with shiny new boards with brand new wax jobs!

Manchester
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping in Newquay

We will be in our own wheels, funnily enough it is a 4x4 but a rubbish J reg Suzuki Samurai.

How much do you think it would cost us in petrol from Manchester as we have no idea (we've only ever been on package holidays before).

Was only joking about the hippies, lol (we all like a smoke).

Anymore replies would be brilliant.

Thanks alot,

Hayley and Bryn

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping in Newquay

having reread everthing I notice you asked for Newquay.

Do you still want to hit Newquay?

I'm not so familiar with sites there. Certainly not one that is right on the beach.

Depends what sort of time you're after? Big nights out or relatively quiet?

Drive from Manc to Cornwall you're looking at 6 hours+

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping in Newquay

"How much do you think it would cost us in petrol from Manchester as we have no idea (we've only ever been on package holidays before)."

Look up how far it is (google maps)

Divide the return distance by the mileage of your "rubbish J reg" :-) (30mpg tops?)

Petrol is about £5 a gallon.

Do the maths :-)

England,london
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping in Newquay

So your looking for a place in newquay well have you tried this web site www.newquay.com and just look at that and it will show you some nice hotels to stay in and there are plenty of things to do so good luck and send a messeage back and tell me whether you have found anything interesting.

From Dee:)

Cumbria
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping in Newquay

petrol from manchester to newquay.

I come from cumbria, about 11/2 hours north of manc. I also have a 4x4 slightley newer than yours so probably a little better on the fule, we need around 1 &1/2 tanks to get down. Costs us around 150 -200 for round trip in diesel. have you thought of flying? even cheaper, and quicker, return flight from MAN to NQ around £50 per person on BMI and only takes 40 mins.... worth a look.

7. Re: Camping in Newquay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Newquay