We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holiday in August

Ireland
4 posts
Save Topic
Family holiday in August

Hi

I am from ireland and have never been to newquay before. We have just booked a family holiday mid august for a week with our 2 kids 5 and 1 year old!

Are we mad? Is is going to be mental with clubbers etc?

Also we have booked self catering holiday flats - croflea holiday flats to be exact - anyone stayed here?

thanks

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family holiday in August

Hi there

Well, Newquay is to Cornwall what Ayia Napa is to Cyprus - endless bars, pubs, clubs, takeaways and discos mainly frequented by the Club 18-30 type visitor and mid August will be heaving for sure.

Can't help with the accommodation but hopefully it will be away from the main bar and club area.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Ayia Napa
Ayia Napa
Famagusta District, Cyprus
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
606 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family holiday in August

Hi

I don't know anything about the accomodation but the location of it is out of the main area, close to the swimming pool and zoo and on the other side is the boating lake, yet you can walk into the main area and beach from there. Newquay is still a great family place and particularly so if the weather is good, so I think you'll have a great time. There are also other good family beaches nearby which will still be busy but are worth a try. Perranporth beach is particularly good for young kids. You could also try Holywell and Porth. I would say though, get there early.

Mentioned in this post
Perranporth
Perranporth
Cornwall, UK
Holywell
Holywell
Cornwall, UK
Porth
Porth
Cornwall, UK
Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
920 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family holiday in August

Hi, sadly as the others have said YES you are slightly MAD to book this area......

On the plus side :) there are some nice places in the area for you to go to with the kids (and for BIG kids too!!)

http://www.lappavalley.co.uk/

http://www.newquayzoo.org.uk/

http://www.newquaywaterworld.co.uk/pools.htm

http://www.dairylandfarmworld.com/

Hope some of the above helps you :)

Perranporth is a nice beach, but again it's going to be busy as it's the height of the season...but if your prepared for it to be busy then it won't be such a shock when you get there, the only advise i'll give you is try and get to the beach either early or late in the day so you get parking close to the beach especially as you have little ones!!

Have a nice time and i hope the weather is good for you :) Caz

Mentioned in this post
Perranporth
Perranporth
Cornwall, UK
Newcastle
Level Contributor
32 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family holiday in August

I can't help either with the other accommodation but you have made an excellent choice to go to Newquay. There is so much to do in the area especially for families as any reply has shown with the links.

Yes their are a lot of young groups and hen/stag parties around partying around the town at night but I don't see that being a huge problem.

If you have a car then I would strongly recommend driving to some of the lovely beaches the area has to offer. It is well worth taking a drive about 10 miles away to one of the lovely north coast beaches such as Harlyn bay, constantine or Treyarnon. They are beautiful with clean soft sand and crystal clear water.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family holiday in August

Hi I live in Newquay and am sane and am not a mental clubber! It does get very busy in August, I cannot lie, but as long as you avoid the town centre in the evening, which with little ones I guess you'll do anyway, and if you want to go to the beach - get there early and leave early then you'll avoid the clubbers as they won't turn up until 2pm and don't really open their eyse until at least 4pm! If you want quieter beaches in or near Newquay, try, Crantock, Lusty Glaze or Porth (which isn't as quiet, but is more for families than Towan, Great Western, Tolcarne or Fistral) Parking in Newquay that time of the year is not easy and quite expensive, but Crantock and Lusty Glaze are pretty easy to park near by. It is still possible for families to have a nice time in Newquay, especially if the sun is shining and if not then a Waterworld or Newquay Zoo outing will be enjoyed and again it's just enough off the beaten track to avoid the clubbers and it's easy to park. Hope you have a nice time.

Mentioned in this post
Crantock
Crantock
Cornwall, UK
Lusty Glaze
Lusty Glaze
227 Reviews
Newquay, UK
Porth
Porth
Cornwall, UK
Waterworld
Waterworld
172 Reviews
Newquay, UK
Newquay Zoo
Newquay Zoo
2,192 Reviews
Newquay, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,430 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family holiday in August

I have been to Newquay mid-July and it is fine. Newquay is full of families and there are several lovely beaches which are huge so you wont feel too cramped. If you want to avoid the clubbers start off early in the morning (if you have a 1 year old you will be up early anyway!) The clubbers dont even show their faces till mid-afternoon. If you set off early you will avoid traffic and the car parks will still be empty. You can still have a good time in August and hopefully the best of the weather.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
372 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family holiday in August

Newquay itself is very busy but there is loads for a young family. If you want a lovely beach then try Lusty Glaze - this is on the edge of Newquay on the way to Porth. Perranporth beach is also great and is nice for a stroll with fish & chips early evening. Dairyland is close by as is Newquay Zoo. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Lusty Glaze
Lusty Glaze
227 Reviews
Newquay, UK
Porth
Porth
Cornwall, UK
Perranporth
Perranporth
Cornwall, UK
Newquay Zoo
Newquay Zoo
2,192 Reviews
Newquay, UK
Bedford
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family holiday in August

Hi,

We stayed at Croflea a few years ago and are booked to stay there again this August. It's really nice accomodation, nothing too fancy but functional and the family who own it are very friendly. Outside the pool is lovely and you can have barbeques by the pool etc. They also have a no 'young groups' policy there. By accident they had booked a group of teenagers (apparently the parents did the booking) whilst we were there but they were quite well behaved. The Tolcarn beach which runs parallel to the high street is less busy than Fistral. To be honest, and I know this sounds snobby, but it's mainly middle class drunken teenagers/studenty types as opposed to 'yobs' who go there, so although alot of drinking goes on, it's not violent or completely unruly. The yobs tend to go abroad for some reason. Alot of young families do go to Newquay, I sure you'll have a lovely time. Polzeath and other beach towns are very nearby too if you did want explore!

Mentioned in this post
Polzeath
Polzeath
Cornwall, UK
Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
146 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family holiday in August

To put your mind at rest, we've had lots of lovely holidays with our children from them being very small right up to teenagers!

Newquay has something for everyone. Best beaches for little ones are Hollywell Bay and Porth, both have rivers running down the beach which make safe paddling/playing areas as the currents in the sea are very strong.

Enjoy your holiday!

Mentioned in this post
Porth
Porth
Cornwall, UK
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family holiday in August

Just to say that you've no need to worry. Although Newquay town is ugly and we avoid it at any time of the year (we live fairly locally), the beaches are still lovely and there are so many wonderful beaches within a half hours drive or so. I'd recommend Crantock which is just next door to Newquay and second the previous suggestions of Constantine and Treyarnon. We love the costal road from Newquay via Porth to Padstow which has various stopping off points en route.

Also, a little further north, Daymer Bay (between Rock and Polzeath) is a great favourite of ours (been there today for a walk along the cliffs) and our grand children love it too. Easy parking right next to the beach.

Almost forgot to say that our grandkids rate Newquay Zoo and Crealy the two best places to go in Cornwall for non-beach days.

I'm sure you will have a lovely time even if you're not keen on Newquay itself.

Mentioned in this post
Crantock
Crantock
Cornwall, UK
Porth
Porth
Cornwall, UK
Padstow
Padstow
Cornwall, UK
Polzeath
Polzeath