We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Newquay or St.Ives ?

NJ
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend in Newquay or St.Ives ?

Husband and I are thinking of flying to Newquay for

a 2 nite stay however I've read about flight delays

due to fog so we are also thinking of the train.

We are coming from London & just wonder if a 2 nite

stay is worthwhile since the train is over 5 hrs. &

again am wondering about delays. Any hints/suggestions?

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Newquay or St.Ives ?

Hi my Mum uses the train, and yes sometimes they have to get off and are coached for a section when there are railworks, but this does not add too much to her journey. Most times it is OK, it is more out of season rather than peak holiday season.

Fog, well it depends really when you are visitng, but the weather can be unpredicable, so that is just down to luck. As well as the flight include check in time, and then weigh up the flight v the train times to decide what you want to do.

I am guessing you will be over here on holiday, so really how long will your holiday be in total? Although we love Cornwall, if you are short on time, it maybe better spent in other area's closer to London.

Let us know your a bigger picture of your plan, so we can better advise, regards trisha

NJ
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Newquay or St.Ives ?

Hi Trisha,

We have been here several months since husband is working in London & have already been to Brighton

& have been told the coast is lovely. Any towns

that are closer or easier by train that you

would suggest? thanks so much. Nancy

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
879 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Newquay or St.Ives ?

Hi Nancy

I can reccommend Newquay as I have just come back from holidays there, there is plenty to do, lots of really beautiful places to eat and stunning coastal scenery. I saw on another forum thread when I was investigating my holiday that somebody described St Ives as not worth travelling to as very little there, it might be best to do a search on St Ive's on the forum.

Being located where you are gives you good access to the south coast, there are a lot of popular towns and resorts along there such as Eastbourne, Margate, Bournemouth, Weymouth and I am told Portsmouth is very nice and a good close base to explorew the New Forest.

I can also reccomend Torquay in Devon :-)

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in Newquay or St.Ives ?

A 2 night stay is hardly long enough to make much impression on Cornwall, so flying would save you valuable time, providing theres no fog! ( i got marooned on the Isles of Scilly earlier this year because of the dreadful stuff) Train delays (that is those that involve bus replacement) generally only happen on some weekends when there is major engineering work. Check with the rail company before you book,as they are normally planned well in advance.

If you chose StIves, you can take the train all the way,where as you will lose a lot of time transferring from plane to car and then an hours drive to get there by air(plus you would need to rent a car,as no train service from Newquay airport.

So to sum up, if you are only coming for two days,i would chose Newquay if you fly or StIves if you chose train.

Both are VERY different places. I prefer St Ives,but it depends what you are in to when you get there.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in Newquay or St.Ives ?

Just re-read the post from Jools, and i would totally disagree that St Ives is not worth travelling to as theres not much there. There is plenty to do ,and it is a beautiful place, plus it doesn't get full of drunken stag/hen parties at weekends which Newquay does.

Again it all depends what you are looking for when you get there.

NJ
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend in Newquay or St.Ives ?

Hi again,

We enjoy walking, gardens, art,jazz, good restaurants,

and nice people too! Am looking at Bournemouth since

it's about 2 hrs. by train. Am sure St. Ives is lovely

but perhaps for a later visit of more than 2 nights.

Nancy

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend in Newquay or St.Ives ?

Hi Nancy, I think for 2 nights somewhere else may be better, save Cornwall for when you have more time. Bath would be a nice train ride out of London with lots to see and do.

As to Newquay vs. St. Ives, I am with badcat and would choose St Ives hands down, but which ever you choose, these towns only show a tiny part of Cornwall which is a very diverse long county. If you get to St. Ives as well as the Tate Gallery, there is the Barbara Helpworth museum which mixes art and a garden. It is probably better viewed in the spring. Actually that is a nice time to come, as you get to see the Azalea's and Rhododendron's in bloom, so maybe think of next year if you are still working over here.

Regards Trisha

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend in Newquay or St.Ives ?

Where in the smoke are you?

If you're flying you're taking best part of an hour or more to get to either Stansted or Gatwick?

Checkin etc and deboarding and orientation at Newquay, queue for a cab, wait for bus, or get a car?

Train from Paddington to St Erth for St Ives. There are also trains to Newquay aswell.

Also consider Truro and head to Falmouth.

How much time will the plane actually save you?

Also if you book far enough ahead you can get pretty cheap fares including first class which gives you more space. I've rarely seen the air fares especially from gatwick get particularly low.

Also the train ride is quite nice in itself. It's not the tube and there some really nice stretches by the sea at Dawlish.

Bit thing if you are travelling at anything like peak time it is imperative to book a seat! Standing room only takes a new meaning when it goes to Exeter!

That said the Dorset coast is a little more accessible time wise. You makes your choices! ;-) have a nice time.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend in Newquay or St.Ives ?

I'm not sure what the fuss is about, the Stanstead to Newquay flight with Ryanair is easy, quick (especially if you have only hand luggage and do on-line check-in) and more often than not it's miles cheaper than the train. Fog is not that big a problem at Newquay Airport. As for Newquay or St. Ives - it depends what time of year you are coming. Off season, both are great for enjoying the lovely coast line. St. Ives has lots of arty shops and galleries and is nice to wander round, Newquay is more of a Party/Surfing town with nice restaurants and lively bars - I'd stay in Porth or around Lusty Glaze Beach if you want to enjoy the peace and quiet too or even splash out for the Headland Hotel. Hope you have a lovely time.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weekend in Newquay or St.Ives ?

I wouldn’t stay in Newquay it's self. It has become a stag and hen night spot in recent years. However you must check out Fistel Beach for the shear beauty of the waves and of course some of the plonkers thinking they can surf.

Get answers to your questions about Newquay
Recent Conversations