We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sands Baby Listening

Sunbury, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Sands Baby Listening

Hi there

I've just booked our first holiday with 9 month old twins to Sands in Newquay. It says they have a baby listening service so that adults can eat dinner in peace but I'm wary of it! Has anyone used this and can put my mind at rest?

Any other tips also appreciated to make this a great family holiday (even though it will be very different from the Vegas holidays I was used to before the twins came along!!) :)

Thanks

Lisa

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sands Baby Listening

Not Sands in Newquay,

but I have seen these 'listening' services, a pensioner walks around every hour or so and stands outside for two minutes, if the child is screaming its head off Mum is fetched. Silently choking to death would not be picked up.

Not something I ever have, or would ,use.

Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
603 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sands Baby Listening

You need to ask them what they do exactly, a hotel I worked in years ago had devices in each room which were then linked to reception, the receptionist, who was not particularly busy during the evenings, would then listen out and fetch the parents when any noise was heard. It did seem to work well but not for everyone these days.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sands Baby Listening

If it was my children I'd pay for a baby SITTING service, or eat in. Not a situation to cut costs IMO.

Plus surely you'd have a more relaxed time if the twins are either in the room next to you or you know someone is actually there with them rather than rely on someone else listening in occasionally.

Sunbury, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sands Baby Listening

It's a reception based one where they have a person whose job it is just to listen to the monitors. So many people use it but am just unsure! I don't know why I'm so wary bec it's not that different from eating downstairs in my house but I think it's because I don't know who has keys...

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,583 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sands Baby Listening

Here's the thing. If you are downstairs in your house, you are listening out, and anything untoward you are upstairs right away.

With this listening service, the receptionist doesn't really know what are "normal" sounds from your children, they all have them, and parents get to know them. They hear something, have to fetch you from the restaurant, then you go up to your room and have to get in with the key. This all takes a lot longer than you simply running upstairs in your own house.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sands Baby Listening

Would you be eating in the hotel restaurant or out somewhere? Possibly seems reasonable if the former,impractical if the latter.

In any case, if this is going to be a first, and especially if its a drive back to the hotel (or a taxi?) for what turns out to be nothing, or even if no disturbance, how enjoyable will your meal be if you are on tenterhooks the whole time?

Sunbury, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sands Baby Listening

Oh no, we wouldn't go out! It would be in the restaurant in the hotel. I do think we might be quite worried the whole time.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sands Baby Listening

I think that you have answered your own question. Go with your instincts. Never leave small children alone in a hotel room. Tailor your vacations around them. If you need some time together then perhaps leave them with a trusted grandparent or similar for a few days. That's what we did.

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sands Baby Listening

I can't blame you for worrying.

Civilised dining and small children are sort of mutually exclusive, in my experience. I used to walk my daughter in her buggy sometimes until she fell asleep, then go for dinner with her wedged next to the table. Not always possible, I know.

The thing with having children is that all children and all adults are different. You have to find what works for you. We took my little monkey to Corfu for 3 weeks when she was 5 months old, had a whale of a (very quiet) time. Her own daughter is now the same age and has her mum exactly where she wants her.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sands Baby Listening

Oh no, we wouldn't go out! It would be in the restaurant in the hotel. I do think we might be quite worried the whole time.

-------

Then room service is the obvious solution :-)

Get answers to your questions about Newquay