We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newquay Airport review

Whiteley
Level Contributor
10 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Newquay Airport review

Used this airport to catch a flight on 24-12-2012 to the Isles of Scilly. Being the first flight of the day it wasn't busy when I arrived. Facilities are limited being a provincial airport, Café Republic coffee shop with overpriced food & drink in the check-in area & departure lounge was about it. The worst part of the airport is the so called Airport Development Fee, or as I called it, SDP, Shareholders Dividend Payment. All passengers are charged £5 just for using the airport. I think this payment is more to replace the lost revenue after some airlines stopped using the airport. Be aware your ADF ticket is issued from a different slot than your payment receipt and if you don't have your ADC ticket they will not accept your payment receipt. Although I was informed later that certain airlines stopped using this airport because of the ADF. The check-in staff were friendly and helpful especially as extra flights were flying this Christmas Eve due to the earlier cancellation of many flights on previous days, this being caused by bad weather.

Security was unbelievable, ridiculously thorough for a 30 minute domestic flight, even a youngster's iPad was tested for explosives. Pure jobsworth.

My wife used this airport a week before me and was not pleased at all with the draconian treatment she received.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Newquay Airport review

That is true. It is a pain to have to queue for check in then queue again to get your ADF ticket. Why it can't be done at check in ,i don't know.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Newquay Airport review

Excellent customer service, hats off for their supportive and professional staff.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Newquay Airport review

I see that RoyE hasn't returned to the forum, no doubt working out what his next major whinge will be about, and no doubt still mopping his wife's fevered brow after suffering her draconian treatment at the airport, poor thing...

London
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Newquay Airport review

9/11 was a domestic flight and look what happened... Plus you're mixing with people that are flying to London... if you were exempt from being searched just because you're flying to the Scillies what would then stop you from passing an explosive on to someone thats travelling to London in the departure lounge?!!! And what would then stop them from blowing the plane up and smashing into the Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliament etc???!!

Some people's idiotic comments about airport security are just ridiculous... Maybe you need to lose a loved one in a terrorist attack to realise...Disgusting!

Newquay, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
462 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Newquay Airport review

I suppose the real gripe is with regular travellers like myself, it mounts up over a year

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
22 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Newquay Airport review

Being delayed a little while whilst proper and thorough checks are made or get through quickly and risk being blown out of the sky. Not much choice really.

Edited: 30 May 2013, 17:35
Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Newquay Airport review

Easyjet are stating flights in June from Newquay to Liverpool and 'London' Southend. Since when has Southend been in London? Somewhat tenuous connection for marketing purposes,i reckon. But Flybe are quitting their London Gatwick slots from early next year,leaving no service between Cornwall and London.

St Columb Major...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Newquay Airport review

We went to meet my daughter arriving from Liverpool on Sunday 21st August 2013 and were pleasantly surprised by the attention of the staff in the coffee lounge. They were most helpful, especially Jo Bickley. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble for her and she really looked after us very well. Because we were new to this airport, she went out of her way to be courteous and showed us where everything we might need was situated. She obviously loved her job and, it seemed, so did the other staff. We enjoyed our meal and drinks tremendously and this experience was made so much more fun due to the fact that The TV show Doc Martin was being filmed at the time. We all had a relaxing time with pretty surroundings and stunning views across the sea and countryside.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,039 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Newquay Airport review

>>> Since when has Southend been in London? <<<

It's about the same distance as Stansted, and for many people in the East of the City it is easier to get to.

Edited: 05 August 2013, 12:33
Penzance, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Newquay Airport review

Tried to drop off my elderly parents during a rainstorm yesterday. It is no longer possible to drop off at the terminal building and the so called "drop off" point is located in a car park (minimum fee £1) about 100 yards from the building. Useless for elderly or disabled passengers. They flew on the new Easyjet route from Liverpool and were very impressed with the service. It's sad that the money grabbing management of this airport cannot see beyond earning an extra pound. If you treat elderly and disabled passengers with disdain they will vote with their feet (or wheelchairs!) and stop using the airport. Easyjet will join the long list of carriers who have pulled out, passenger numbers and aircraft movements will continue to fall and the short sighted airport mangers will be able to continue their employment at Cornwall Council and mismanage some other local services!