We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newquay Airport review

Which Newquay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Whiteley
Level Contributor
10 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Newquay Airport review

Used this airport to catch a flight on 24-12-2012 to the Isles of Scilly. Being the first flight of the day it wasn't busy when I arrived. Facilities are limited being a provincial airport, Café Republic coffee shop with overpriced food & drink in the check-in area & departure lounge was about it. The worst part of the airport is the so called Airport Development Fee, or as I called it, SDP, Shareholders Dividend Payment. All passengers are charged £5 just for using the airport. I think this payment is more to replace the lost revenue after some airlines stopped using the airport. Be aware your ADF ticket is issued from a different slot than your payment receipt and if you don't have your ADC ticket they will not accept your payment receipt. Although I was informed later that certain airlines stopped using this airport because of the ADF. The check-in staff were friendly and helpful especially as extra flights were flying this Christmas Eve due to the earlier cancellation of many flights on previous days, this being caused by bad weather.

Security was unbelievable, ridiculously thorough for a 30 minute domestic flight, even a youngster's iPad was tested for explosives. Pure jobsworth.

My wife used this airport a week before me and was not pleased at all with the draconian treatment she received.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Newquay Airport review

Thank you for your explanation. I now certainly have a better understanding but people could still occasionally smile and not be quite so,officious, but thank you again.

Looe, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
548 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Newquay Airport review

Newquay airport is subsidised each and every year by Cornwall council to the tune of £3,000,000. money that could be spent on Cornwall residents and services for the elderly etc. those people baulking at paying a fiver duty or several pounds on parking ought to understand how much this subsidy annoys residents of cornwall on the lowest wages in the country many of whom cant afford a holiday let alone one where they fly there. either newquay charges £5 duty and expensive parking or it closes. as airport users you have to decide I guess.

Cornwall.UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Newquay Airport review

Firstly the £5 ADF. Many airports throughout the world have charged a departure tax. Years ago I paid £15 at one such airport. Problem with Newquay airport and am sad to say this as a local, it's a white elephant and was never going to be a going concern. We do not have the population to support an airport. So many airlines have come and gone which proves the point. If it wasn't for the Scilly route virtually nothing would fly in and out. Just check the flight schedules even for summer. Basically, we are just paying to ferry people to and from The Isles of Scilly. Folks coming on holiday to Cornwall not only want their car to carry family and holiday gear but to get around, imagine trying to do that by flying in. Cornwall Council have spent a fortune on the infrastructure since taking over from the RAF and goodness knows what the running costs are, this at a time when they are cutting back on many needy services in Cornwall. Oh and of course ,we the tax payers are footing the bill. FlyBe fares to the few places they fly are horrendous and as for advertised " deals" who wants to fly just one way. Time the government forced the airlines to stop advertising one way prices!

England
Level Contributor
4,171 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Newquay Airport review

At BHX you can't drop someone off outside the terminal. You have to go into the short stay car park and pay £1.00 for 10 mins. Collecting people is awkward as well.

Newquay, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Newquay Airport review

Of course many tourists do visit the Isles of Scilly but there are also many business and official travelers not forgetting the islanders themselves so it is a service for locals as well which without would be a disaster.

Cornwall.UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Newquay Airport review

Yes of course, don't dispute this. However, it's a high price we pay. As Lands End airport is being updated ,Islanders in the future could use the facilities there rather than the vast facility at St Mawgan.

Newquay, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Newquay Airport review

The irony is if we just had to provide a service for IoS then 3 million as a one-off would be better spent on a new helicopter service based in say Hayle/Penzance. This would give competition to the SkyBus and allow all weather flying which is the main issue overall.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Newquay Airport review

Lands End airfield is currently being surfaced with tarmac to make it all weather (it was grass)

I'm wondering whether Skybus will concentrate more of its flights from there in future, as they own that and presumably have to pay Newquay airport a lot of money each year to operate from there.

This would reduce Newquays use even more and make it even less viable. If only we had the amount of people to use it to increase the attractiveness to airlines, we would get more services.

Its such a pain having to go to Exeter or Bristol whenever you want a flight somewhere.

Cornwall.UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Newquay Airport review

If only we had the population? If we did, Cornwall wouldn't be Cornwall.

East Grinstead...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Newquay Airport review

My wife and I used Newquay Airport en route from Gatwick to the Scilly Islands in February 2015. On both outward and return journeys there was a 6-hour wait between planes. Most of this was passed in the cramped and distinctly draughty check-in area where the Coffee Republic outlet was closed. There is one coffee machine. Airside there is a large comfortable departure lounge and the cafe is open throughput the day. This is crazy. People waiting for check in to open with just a cup of coffee for comfort and a fully fledged eatery airside with no customers. Otherwise, the airport is efficient and the staff friendly and helpful. When we complained about the cafe situation we were told it was down to "winter staffing", and were directed to the pub down the road, The Smugglers Inn, which was accommodating and also friendly. Security is very tight, in stark contrast to the airport on St. Marys, IOS, where there is none. Be aware that flights on and off Scilly are quite often subject to delays for fog, and sure enough this happened on the return leg, however Skybus are as helpful as they can be in such circumstances and seem able to recover quickly once the weather clears. FlyBe were unable to change the "connecting" flight at the Newquay desk; this has to be done by phone to Exeter. We were charged £44 each for the change, even though we had flexible tickets. Newquay would like to be an attractive minor aviation hub, but there is some way to go yet.