We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere close by - public transport?

London, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Somewhere close by - public transport?

Guys,

I am considering coming to Newquay to watch the Surf Competition in November: newquay.co.uk/whats-on-in-newquay/details/57…

However, I don't really want to stay in Newquay, I'm looking for a more relaxed and chilled out vibe - more like St. Ives or something.

I've always done Cornwall via car before, can anyone give me an idea as to whether it would be feasible to stay somewhere else and come in and out via public transport? Obviously St. I'ves is a bit too far- over two hours on the train! but you get the idea.

Also, if anyone's been to that specific event I'd be keen to get a handle on what it's like. Many years ago (we're talking about 15-20) we'd regularly end up being in Newquay in the week of the August surf festival, I get the feeling this event would be much more low key.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somewhere close by - public transport?

Hi there

Newquay is a sizeable place, you don't have to stay in the centre of course, there are loads of small hotels and B & Bs to the east of the town or you could stay a bit further out at Porth or St Columb Minor. November is well beyond the end of the holiday season so other than the people coming for the surf competition, it won't be overly busy anyway

London, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somewhere close by - public transport?

What is the Pentire end of Newquay like these days? We used to stay there because it was a bit quieter, however, that was about 15-20 years ago. I got the impression that at weekends the place would be busy all year round now due to Stag and Hen parties?

Aside from the Surf Contest I'd still be keen to travel around a bit, how feasible do you think this would be without a car, in November?! I looked at the Brecon Beacons (okay so totally different!) and their bus service seems to stop at the end of September).

Newquay, United...
Destination Expert
for Newquay, Cornwall
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somewhere close by - public transport?

I agree with what GB posted. You could stay in a quieter part of town.We do not tend to get a lot of stag & hen groups in the winter months so that should not be a problem. As far as public transport is concerned here is the local bus service

www.westerngreyhound.com/routes_and_times.php

London, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somewhere close by - public transport?

Thanks, I've been looking at that website a fair bit - seems some services stop on 2nd Nov so I need to be careful. I guess It'll be interesting to see how it's changed, I think the last time I came was when there was all the Eclipse madness, was that 1999 I think. I'm sure it's pretty different!

I'm thinking I can try to use Newquay as a base and trek to some other places, not sure where/when yet though.

Would you class the Pentire end as one of the nicest and quietest places still? It used to be in our opinion...

UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Somewhere close by - public transport?

Some car hire companies do a "collect from the station" (europecar I think is one) so perhaps you could consider travelling to NQ on the train and the having a car there to get around - best of both worlds.

London, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Somewhere close by - public transport?

Sadly I cannot drive so yeah I am totally reliant on public transport and or taxis, hmm, I do need to plan some day trips and see if they'd work.

Newquay, United...
Destination Expert
for Newquay, Cornwall
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Somewhere close by - public transport?

Yes Pentire is still a fairly quiet side of town.

8. Re: Somewhere close by - public transport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 16:44
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,563 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Somewhere close by - public transport?

advertising is not allowed, but you have also resurrected an old thread to do it on!

10. Re: Somewhere close by - public transport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 07:16