We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self catering by beach

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
88 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Self catering by beach

My partner and I are looking to book a self catering apartment near the beach over Christmas this year for a week. We would like a nice apartment with a DVD player for a bit of luxury splurge, and are planning on heading out to do lots of day trips like Eden Project, Mousehole Christmas lights.

It seems that Fistral Beach or Watergate Bay are good bases by the beach? Any recommendations on apartments, or must see attractions in Cornwall (we haven't been there before)?

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,231 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self catering by beach

Clem , Fistral and Watergate are my favourite beaches- Fistral is more lively. Now I have no idea what these places are like in winter as I only go in Summer or Spring but this would be my personal choice. St Ives, Padstow, Polperro, Falmouth, Fowey, Eden project, Mousehole.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
88 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self catering by beach

Thanks, those places look good. I'm looking forward to going to Padstow and having fish and chips at Rick Stein's!

Devonport, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self catering by beach

Headland Hotel Cottages have the ultimate location on Fistral but can be pricey, not sure what your budget is. Tolcarne Beach Village is right on beach too. Spent all my childhood hols on Watergate Bay and I believe it is being revived since Jamie Oliver opened his restaurant there. Mousehole is lovely, but don't even think about taking a car down to the Town, parking is very limited and the roads are very, very narrow. My absolute favourite place is the Minack Theatre in Porthcurno. The sea really is that colour!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,231 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self catering by beach

Mine too Holly!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
88 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self catering by beach

Thanks for the tips - is there anywhere you can park just outside of Mousehole?

The Headland Cottages look really nice. Do you know about the Pentire Heights area - is that a good location? There's some apartments in the Spinnakers development that look quite good.

Devonport, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self catering by beach

Yes, you can park just outside Mousehole but it will be very busy for the Christmas Lights and you will probably have to walk uphill going back. You may like to get in touch with the Tourist Info as there may be a "park n ride" in operation just for the lights. There may even be organised day trips from other Towns in Cornwall. There is also a nice little pub in the next village of Paul called the Kings Arms (usual pub grub but reasonable). You could park here, have a meal and walk down but beware it will be very, very busy and residents will want to park too. There is a nice pub down by the harbour but last time I went there the restaurant was only open to residents staying b & b there. If your base is in Newquay, allow about an hour to get to Mousehole. As for the Eden Project, its ok but not everything is inside. Sorry, can't help with the Spinnakers Development, never stayed there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,231 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self catering by beach

Clem all around the Pentire area is really nice. I think the Pentire heights are on Pentire Avenue and I think itsone of the best places.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
88 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self catering by beach

Thanks guys, you've helped me out heaps. I think I'll book the one in Pentire Heights, looks new and modern inside and it says there's views from all rooms over Fistral Bay (and only a 5 min walk to the beach) and is less expensive than the Headland ones (though they do look amazing!). It's really close to Lewannick Lodge which I've heard is a good place to eat.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,231 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self catering by beach

Do you mind me asking what the appartments cost for the week Clem ?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
88 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self catering by beach

English Rose, the Spinnakers one we're looking at is £422 a week over Christmas (through Cornish Horizons), with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. The Headland Hotel Cottages also looked really good, and cost about £550 over Christmas for 2, but as another couple are coming to visit for a few days it would go up to over £1000 for a 2 bedroom cottage.

Get answers to your questions about Newquay