We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay near the beach

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Places to stay near the beach

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to Newquay (prob. for like 2-3 months) next summer, and I don't know where to stay. I want some place close to the beach, but not crazy with drunken tourists. (I know that's probably a nearly impossible request given the amount of people who show up there every summer, but I figured I'd ask anyways.)

Anyone got any advice/recommendations? Which beach is the best to stay near? I know Cornwall's got loads of great surfing spots, and everyone says Newquay is the best, but I think there are a few different beaches there, too.

Thanks! :)

nuneaton...
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay near the beach

Hi,

Fistral Beach is the best! This is where most of the surfin action is but its a great beach it also has a bar restaurant, hotels and b&b's are in abundance here. It is about a ten minute walk to the town centre so is away from the loudness at night but still easily accessible by foot. I love Newquay go every year any other help I can give I'd be happy to help. I'd advise that you email info@newquay.co.uk with your name and address and they will send you a guide full of accomodation.

Best Wishes

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay near the beach

Thanks so much! I have a few friends from the Padstow area, but they were useless in giving me recommendations :) Mostly b/c they're 21-23 years old and all they do is surf all day and drink in the pubs at night..which sounds fun...for about a week. I'll definitely check out that email address, that's exactly the type of thing I was looking for.

south wales
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay near the beach

I am also planning a visit to Newquay next Summer and was wondering if anyone new of a surf lodge we could stay in, near to fistral bay??

jacksonville, NC
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay near the beach

Having grown up in Newquay and traveled a great deal I think that you would be well advised to go the following web site: www.newquay.co.uk. There is a great deal of difference between staying close to the beach and staying a short ride out side of the town it self. First you will find that if you are out side of the town itself you will be able to sleep at night and not be kept awake by the endless number of drunks that have taken up residence in Newquay. There are plenty of places that will be only just a short distance from the beaches if you are willing to take the time to look. Who knows you might even like it better. And you will certainly enjoy your stay if you are going to stay any lenght of time. You might try Crantock or Cubert, they are small villiages outside of Newquay, but well worth looking into. No disrespect to Newquay and its "LOCAL" people, but it is not the place that it once was. Which ever way you decide to go remember that the area is dependent on tourists, weather they stay for a week or all summer long. enjoy.

Cornwall. UK
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay near the beach

If you're looking to discover the true beauty of our County of CORNWALL, then think about staying around the PORTREATH area... near enough to Newquay an dsurrounding beaches, but quiet enough when you need it most. Lots of local pubs and cheap short term accomadations too.E-mail me when you are coming over, and I'd be happy to show you the REAL Cornwall, full of ancient myths and mysteries.Rob.spiritualwarrior002@hotmail.com

Bath England
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stay near the beach

Best place to stay right on Fistral Beach is Fiddlers Green. A holiday let that brings luxury, views and surfing together well. 5 minutes to the water panaoramic views across the bay.

check out their website

www.fiddlersnewquayaccommodation.co.uk

Cheers

Clare

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to stay near the beach

Fistral beach is definitely the best beach. Have stayed here several times and its great for all ages. Its a clean well managed surfing beach with Aussie life guards who spend their winters here when its too cold on Bondi.

England
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to stay near the beach

I stayed in The Rockery (www.the-rockery.co.uk) last summer, its a 2 bed roomed house (self catering). Its about 5 minutes walk from the beach and also close to the town centre (but not to close).

I'd recommend it as an alternative to the Fistral end of town.

Rick

Uk
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to stay near the beach

If you want to stay away from the drunken tourists it is best to stay up the other end. Near Lusty Glaze beach or Tolcarne. There is a stretch of road called The Narrowcliff with lots of decent (ish) hotels on.

Preston
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to stay near the beach

If you want a hotel try Offshore - it's right at the end of South Fistral, in Pentire. Pentire is about a 10 min walk from town centre, but really nice coz you avoid the tourists. Plus, as i said you are right by the 'other' end of Fistral. Otherwise check out self catering accommodation in that area. I think watersedge@selfcateringnewquay.co.uk may have some there.