We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Catering Cottage for 2 in Penzance

Which Penzance hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
142 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Self Catering Cottage for 2 in Penzance

Any suggestion or recommendation for a cottage in Penzance for a week? It is for 2 people, (hubby and self) but we are taking public transporation so we want to be centrally located for the busses and train.

Another problem I seem to be running into is that the bedding is usually just one double bed. A queen bed would be OK but my husband claims I flop too much during the night for him to get a good night's sleep in a double bed. Even 2 twins is acceptable.

Do you think I will have to look for a larger cottage (like a 2 bedroom) to be able to use the second bedroom that is usually twins?

Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Catering Cottage for 2 in Penzance

Hi there

Do you definately want a cottage or would a good quality B & B be of interest to you? I have stayed in a superb B & B in Penzance and would be happy to pass on the details ( it has queen sized beds too).

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
142 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Catering Cottage for 2 in Penzance

Certainly might consider a B&B if we can't find a suitable cottage. We find that when we stay put for a week, we like to stay in places that we can spread out a bit and also stay in for dinner. We plan to do a fair amount of hiking, and there are times when we've been out all days, that we will want to stay in, eat and relax.

But yes, could you send me along the name of the B&B so if this other doesn't pan out? Thanks!

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Catering Cottage for 2 in Penzance

Any particular reason you are looking at staying in Penzance? Is it just because of the transport links? I know somewhere that is self catering that fits the bill in Carbis Bay which is accessible by train, is right on the coast path and has good bus links too.

Carbis Bay is on the branchline from St Erth which is the station before Penzance.

aspects-holidays.co.uk/propertydetails.asp…

It might be of interest to you, it might not.

Suzi

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
142 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self Catering Cottage for 2 in Penzance

Thanks Suzi, the place really looks lovely. I was trying to keep the price within 450-525 pounds for a week. Do you think that is unrealistic for a 1 bedroom cottage/self catering place? Time frame mid-May, or mid-June or perhaps September?

We want to make sure that supermarket, pubs, and resturants are truely within walking distance. We stayed in a small apartment in Hervey Bay, Australia that noted the great location for supermarket, pubs ect. The closet supermarket was 15 LONG blocks away and no public transport. Luckily it was close to the pubs:)

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self Catering Cottage for 2 in Penzance

That's not unreasonable at all. The only thing you might struggle with, with the smaller properties, is them having anything other than a double bed as the smaller properties are just that, small. You never know though. I will rise to the challenge and see what I can find for you in Penzance.

I would consider Carbis Bay though, Carbis Bay has a decent sized Tesco supermarket within walking distance of all likely holiday properties there, it has an Italian restaurant and various restaurants in the Hotels. There is a great fish and chip place, there is at least one pub, however, the best bit is that it is on the St Ives Branch line so you can get anywhere from there, it also has great bus links and it is on the South West Coast Path with breathtaking coastal walks. 20 minutes walk and you are in St Ives with a large variety of restaurants, pubs, shops, wonderful.

I will see what I can find in both places for you just in case you think Carbis Bay might be suitable.

Here you go, here's one for Penzance, with twin bedroom - holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/penzance/65572

And another:-

holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/penzance/23745

This one should come in on budget but you will have to check prices and availability for 2010 as this information is not on the page yet. There would be a choice for you here as one bedroom has a kingsize bed and the other one is a twin:-

holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/penzance/52024

You would have to check availability with this one too:-

holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/penzance/23808

I'll have another look round and post up some more links if I find any.

Suzi

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self Catering Cottage for 2 in Penzance

Here are some for Carbis Bay:-

carbisbayholidays.co.uk/carbis-bay/palm-cour… - This one is on budget and the supermarket is within 2 minutes' walk and so is the pub. St Ives is probably 10 minutes' walk from there. There is a twin bedroom and a double bedroom and for the week in May I looked at, it comes in on budget.

This one comes in on budget and is one bedroom - king size bed:-

carbisbayholidays.co.uk/carbis-bay/compass-p…

This one is also on budget, one bedroom, king size bed - carbisbayholidays.co.uk/carbis-bay/compass-p…

When thinking about supermarkets, dependant on where you found to stay in Penzance, you actually could be a heck of a way from the supermarket so do bear this in mind when choosing your location. Tesco is at Eastern Green and you will be able to find this on the map. Morrisons is getting on for Long Rock and you will be able to find this on a Google map too. I'm not aware of any other "supermarkets" in Penzance but maybe someone else knows.

If you were to stay at Carbis Bay, the first property is a level 2 minute walk to the supermarket. I have to point out that most other properties in Carbis Bay would be about a 5-10 mminute walk away dependant on location. Quite a few of them would involve a hefty uphill walk too, however, on the good side, it would be a nice downhill walk back with the shopping. The hills are truly steep at Carbis Bay but I manage fine when I visit the place and I have quite bad asthma. The idea for us of going to Carbis Bay is that everything is so convvenient and you really can leave the car. We had a week there at the end of September and only used the car once.

Hope you find something you like out of the links I have posted. I have really only looked at a few accommodation websites though so, if you want anymore, let me know and I will have a further look around. If you would just prefer me to look at Penzance for you then let me know and that's what I'll do. I just wanted you to know about Carbis Bay because I think the location might suit you better but it's down to what one wants personally isn't it?

Thanks.

Suzi

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self Catering Cottage for 2 in Penzance

Hi there

The B & B in Penzance is Camilla House. It has fabulous reviews, large, comfortable room that are all ensuite, very friendly owners for whom nothing is too much trouble, and it overlooks the sea. It has free parking and is set back from the main road so there's no noise at all.

www.camillahouse.co.uk

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Self Catering Cottage for 2 in Penzance

Hi Suzi has done your proud, with all her information. There are a few small supermarkets in Penzance itself. The Co op is half way up the main shopping street, with a smaller branch at the top of chapel street. Also there is a spar at the bottom of market Jew Street nearer to the station.

GB's B&B is in a good location, as it is not too far from the bus and train station. A lot of the B&B's are the far end of town, which means a hike if you are getting busses each day. Some might go up the main B&B road, but you would be limited as to destination, so the bus terminal give more options. You would be more likely to get your twin beds in a B&B and you should get a good breakfast too!

As Suzi said, a lot of cottages are quaint and therefore have small bedrooms and small beds. I doubt that you would tind a I bed cottage with twin beds as that is usually reserved for a second bedroom. I don't think your budget is unreasonable for the time of year. I know lots of cottages and B&B's beyond Penzance but these best suit people with their own transport.

Regards Trisha

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
142 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self Catering Cottage for 2 in Penzance

All the information you have provided is great! . Both Compass Point options look good and could work with the budget. Suzi, it sounds like you are pretty confident that the supermarket isn't a problem as well as public transportation with using Carbis Bay as a base. Looks like added plus that they have wireless internet.

However, I do have a question: Is Carbis Bay more of just a beach holiday destination? As opposed to "being in a town"?

For example, I live about 20 minutes from the Gulf Coast Beaches in Florida. If someone told me they wanted a beach vacation, I would recommend one of the many beach communities on the barrier islands. But, if they wanted more of a city feel, with public transportation, I would tell them to stay around downtown St. Petersburg. There are many more "condos" or "self catering" options out at the beach, while in downtown St. Petersburg, there are hotels and B&B accomodations. Is that similar to the difference between Penzance as Carbis Bay?

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self Catering Cottage for 2 in Penzance

I suppose you could say that there were those definitions between the two places but it's not as cut and dried as that to my mind. Obviously, places in England are really small in comparison with places in the US.

Penzance is most definitely a town on the coast. Penzance has a train station, bus station and, at Eastern Green, a heliport for travel to the Isles of Scilly. The Scillonian III also goes to The Isles of Scilly from Penzance. Carbis Bay is part of the town of St Ives although a couple of miles distant. It is, therefore, quieter. It is also on the coast. It has a branch line (small line that comes off the main trainline) station and it has bus stops in either the direction of St Ives or you can get to many other places from there including Penzance.

It depends what you want from your holiday I guess. If you prefer busier places then Penzance will be best for you, if you prefer quieter places with everything you want nearby then Carbis Bay would be best for you. I had assumed you were coming on holiday and, therefore, thought Carbis Bay might be better from a holiday point of view. Everyone likes different things though and if you are more a town sort of person then Penzance would be best. There are some great apartments in Penzance but I have been struggling to find anything that meets your criteria but I will keep looking if it is Penzance that you would prefer.

Hope this helps.

Suzi