We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penzance as a base ? And rail in July?

CT
Level Contributor
16 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Penzance as a base ? And rail in July?

I was just planning a few days in Cornwall---Penzance as a base, thinking we can visit Mousehole , St Ives, Lands End by public transit. Is this a reasonable plan?

And now I read about the floods and rail problems. My sympathies to locals affected by this--but I must ask do you think the train from Paddington--Penzance will be running by July? I am seeing different accounts. Perhaps a local can advise.

Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Penzance
Penzance
Cornwall, UK
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,611 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Penzance as a base ? And rail in July?

We are all very much hoping the rail link will be back in place by July, and everything points to it being so. But even if it's not, the really badly damaged part is at Dawlish, and there are already bus links in place to get past this point, with trains on this side that were already here when the link was broken. So by July, even if the whole rail link is not repaired(which I very much doubt) then you will still be able to get here.

Your plan sounds a very good one. Public transport is a lot better and more frequent in the summer months, so you should have no problem getting around. My advice, as always, is get your accommodation booked up as soon as possible, to make sure you get somewhere you want to be.

Mentioned in this post
Dawlish
Dawlish
Devon, UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
961 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Penzance as a base ? And rail in July?

Penzance is a great base with regular bus links to all those places. (every hour to Mousehole and St Ives, and every couple of hours to Land's end).

I would agree with Annabelle - even if the railway isn't fixed by then (and most sources seem to be saying a couple of months ) then the rail replacement service will be slick by then. Last winter when there were all the floods around Exeter, the replacement service only took an extra half hour and was well organised.

Mentioned in this post
Penzance
Penzance
Cornwall, UK
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Exeter
Exeter
Devon, UK
QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,568 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Penzance as a base ? And rail in July?

I think Penzance is a great place to stay. Not only is it a good base for transport to other places in that part of Cornwall, it is a nice place in itself. If you like to walk, you could actually walk to and/or from Mousehole.

One of the times when I was down there, they were doing track work, and on my way back to London we were bused from Penzance to, I think, St. Austell, where we met the train. It was very well organized, no problems.

The train ride from Paddington to Penzance takes you through some lovely country. Even if you have to be bused part of the way, and I hope that doesn't happen, it is still a trip worth looking forward to.

Mentioned in this post
Penzance
Penzance
Cornwall, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
London
London
England, UK
St Austell
St Austell
Cornwall, UK
Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Penzance as a base ? And rail in July?

Agree with all the above. Have done many train journeys with a bus link, and although the journey takes longer it is always well organised and staff very helpful. But really the trains should be bac k to normal by July.

Penzance is an excellent base for trips out by bus - some beautiful scenery and you see so much more on a leisurely bus trip. I recommend the open top bus round Lands End, the no 2 to Truro (it goes round lots of villages, the 18 goes on the main road) and the 'back' route to St Ives - I think it's service 16.

Have a great time

Mentioned in this post
Penzance
Penzance
Cornwall, UK
Truro
Truro
Truro District, UK
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
CT
Level Contributor
16 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Penzance as a base ? And rail in July?

Thank you all for prompt responses. Our accommodation has been booked ---and I will hope for the best regarding the rail situation.

england
Level Contributor
6,271 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Penzance as a base ? And rail in July?

I'm not very local and I'm very sceptical about politicians promises - but even I think it ill be fixed by mid May. There will be a general election next year, there are marginal constituencies affected by the closure of the line. They are currently working all the hours the weather permits to repair the damage.

As others have said there will be a well organised bus service if needed but the track will probably be in far better condition than normal by July.

7. Re: Penzance as a base ? And rail in July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 20:18
Get answers to your questions about Penzance